Wood Chews?

Guest OhCatastrophe

I've seen them. Looked at the package and wondered what is the purpose, but then Annie doesn't chew on anything so it has no purpose for me. BTW, since when is the smell of natural wood an odor dogs love?

Guest OhCatastrophe

I've seen them. Looked at the package and wondered what is the purpose, but then Annie doesn't chew on anything so it has no purpose for me. BTW, since when is the smell of natural wood an odor dogs love?

I was thinking about trying it out since Cleo DOES enjoy chewing on things... Including sticks hahah

Materials made in USA. What part might not be?!

well is wood even ok to digest?

I would worry about splinters and seems packaged to appeal more to us than the dogs.

Since the wood is ground up I don't think splinters would be an issue...

I was thinking about trying it out since Cleo DOES enjoy chewing on things... Including sticks hahah

well is wood even ok to digest?

Since the wood is ground up I don't think splinters would be an issue...

Wouldn't that depend on how well ground up the wood is? Years ago I used sawdust for bedding for my horses for a while and just found too many large splinters so I changed back to straw. Maybe I worry for nothing.

Why not choose something that's been used by many people without issue? Bully sticks and Himalayan chews are both great options that are made of actual food. Frankly I'm a little dumbfounded that someone would intentionally make and market a product advertising it contains real "non-food". Maybe it just has enough to make it enticing, but what the heck? I don't want to encourage my dogs to eat things that resemble, smell and/or taste like things that could be dangerous for my dogs to chew. If your dog needs an outlet for chewing there are plenty of other, safer options.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest OhCatastrophe

Why not choose something that's been used by many people without issue? Bully sticks and Himalayan chews are both great options that are made of actual food. Frankly I'm a little dumbfounded that someone would intentionally make and market a product advertising it contains real "non-food". Maybe it just has enough to make it enticing, but what the heck? I don't want to encourage my dogs to eat things that resemble, smell and/or taste like things that could be dangerous for my dogs to chew. If your dog needs an outlet for chewing there are plenty of other, safer options.

That's what I was thinking... I have bully sticks and I really wanna get some of those Himalayan chews!

Some dogs are obsessed with chewing on sticks. I expect the target market for that product is the owner of a dog who is a stick chewer who is sick of picking up bark!

I give my dog marrow bones. Cheap, he loves them, and the grocery guy delivers them!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

That's weird....but I'm guessing they make it for people who's dogs chew on sticks all the time. They probably throw some sawdust into it, and then claim that it has "real" wood. I sometimes feed sticks to my bunnies, but not to my dogs!

Busderpuddle, on 18 Jul 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

Well I heard today that McDonalds uses wood filler in their burgers, so someone must think it is good for us. I always wondered how they could sell a triple cheeseburger for $2.

I wouldn't feed this to my dog. We don't eat at McDonalds either.

Heard from whom? This sounds like a modification of the "McDonalds puts worms in their burgers" hooey (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburger.asp).

For more information, please see Snopes for information on these and other rumors about McDonald's burgers:

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/allbeef.asp