Peggy Is In Trouble - G.i. Bleed

Peggy is in trouble

Poor Peggy had bloody diarrhea yesterday and also vomited flecks of blood. This came after a couple of days of stomach upset with intense gurgling noises and not being keen on eating food. I rushed her to the vet, who examined her in the car park first in case it was infectious even though her shots are up to date.

He said the temperature was OK, heart rate was OK, gums were refilling after pressure OK, skin was not dehydrated either, so he suspected a Stomach or Duodenal Ulcer and give injections of antibiotic, Zantac and a couple of other injections into the muscles near the kidneys. He also gave me to take home some Antepsin Tablets (same as Sucralfate) , Zantac tables, oral rehydration fluids, and a can of mild dog food for digestive upsets. He said leave it 24 hours before the next feed and give the Antepsin an hour before feeding and to encourage her to sip water whenever she looks receptive.

She was very much out of it last night but has been sipping water and took ¼ can of the dog food and then had a short walk. There hasn’t been vomiting or diarrhea since either.

So I don’t really know what else to do other than to hope that the ulcer, or whatever else caused the bleed, doesn’t rupture into the body cavity and cause peritonitis.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of problem with their Greyhound before?

No experience sorry. Just good thoughts for Peggy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest alannamac

I think there have been quite a few on this board with dogs that had bouts like that....usually recovered in a day or two. Maybe if you do a search for hemorrhagic gastroenteritis you can find them and their topics....also search "bloody diarrhea". Hope your pup is feeling better soon.

I certainly hope that the worst of it has passed for Peggy and she is on the mend. Was she taking any Nsaids for anything? They can be the cause of such issues.

Just want to mention that Manuka honey is very good for aiding in healing the stomach and stopping the gurgles.

I certainly hope that the worst of it has passed for Peggy and she is on the mend. Was she taking any Nsaids for anything? They can be the cause of such issues.

Just want to mention that Manuka honey is very good for aiding in healing the stomach and stopping the gurgles.

Hi... she's just been given a little more of that bland vet food and some boiled-up chicken breasts. I've a couple of jars of Manuka honey on the shelf, not sure how old it is, but how would I give it and how much? I've still got the Sucralfate and Zantac tablets to give..

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Minus the vomiting, it sounds very similar to bad flare-ups of IBD or IBS or colitis. Google IBD in canines and a bunch of sites will come up. It happens quite frequently that someone posts about it here, as well, so a search as recommended above will also get you information.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rex had that. His diagnosis was ulcerative colitis. I came home from work one day to a kitchen filled with bloody runs from an 80+ plus dog. He was tested and fecaled within an inch of his life and had a standing script for flagyl. I tried lots of high end food but what fixed him was green bag Iams. After he started on it his poops were firm and his stomach didn't gurgle.

Before that his stomach would gurgle so loud it would wake me in the middle of the night. That was solved by just getting something into him. If I could just prime his pump with a little tidbit or two he'd go on to eat some canned then kibble. The problem was what he'd eat to get started was different every middle of the night. I spent many an hour at four in the morning on the futon with him trying dried liver, cheese, liverwurst, turkey, roast beef, bread, hot dogs and what seemed like a thousand other things. It wasn't like he was getting whole hot dogs, he just needed a few bites then he'd go on.

Sending good thoughts to you and Peggy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Symptoms sound like what my girl had years ago. It was HGE. A few days on Metronidazole and she was fine. Hope your girl is feeling better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Prayers for Peggy and hoping for the end of her symptoms. Sounds like you were on top of this episode immediately, so hopefully she will be fine very quickly.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Update: She's drinking OK now, responds to lead being picked up and wants a short walk, and is happier to eat, so i gave the rest of the can of vet food plus some boiled chicken... and a spoon of manuka honey on a little piece of bread. Still some diarrhea but its brown and thicker. I'm hoping she doesn't get another acid upset during the night but with yesterday's zantac injection, a tablet of it tonight and Antepsin (sucralfate) maybe we can avoid it. She's due at the vets again tomorrow afternoon.

Add: I'm changing her outdoor water bowl 2 x a day in case of giardia (she will drink from the water feature if there isn't a bowl), and I'm stopping her eating grass as I suspect it is too rough after a bleed.

And another thing... last week i bought a very expensive bag of Arden Grange White Fish and Potato kibble that was supposed to be good for sensitive stomachs. I was changing very gradually from a Turkey and Rice hypo kibble to that. Maybe I ought to give that new one away and go back to the old?

Hope she continues to recover well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

On the food -- maybe just keep on the bland food until vet tomorrow, then see what the advice is? Sending Peggy best wishes.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

John, you mentioned Peggy's outdoor water bowls. Is there any chance she could have had a drink from a bird bath or that the birds roosted on her bowls? I had 3 dogs at one time get horrible diarrhea and our bird bath was the culprit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Awww, I can only send good thoughts for sweet Peggy and for you. Hoping for good news at the vet check.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I would ask for a blood test, a urinalysis (to check for protein in the urine), and an abdominal ultrasound. Our boy Duke passed away on Tuesday due to a clot in his portal vein. The first sign was vomiting and the second was bloody diarrhea. Granted this could be GI only, but it could also indicate a blood clot or problems with the kidney, liver, pancreas, etc. Hugs for Peggy.

Hi. So sorry to hear you lost Duke. I will mention these things to my vet again.

When I took her in Saturday I listed: Gastric or Duodenal Ulcer / Parasites / Infection / Partial Blockage / CRF / Liver and associated issues. His first choice was to treat for a gastric bleed from an ulcer or similar.

That seems to have worked somewhat as the vomiting is gone and the diarrhea is settling with no blood seen, but this morning she was gurgling again, wanted to eat grass (which i prevented) and didn't want to eat until an hour after giving Antepsin and Zantac. I'll update here later if the vet works out anything.