Dylan

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I need your help. We let Dylan run free Thursday at age131/2. He was having trouble getting up from a laying down position. He stopped eating about a week ago. We got small amounts in him, but it was a struggle. He also vomited 3 times last week which was unusual. Wednesday night, he slept in his crate in a different room. He has ALWAYS slept next to me on his bed. Thurs morning he went to get out of the crate and by the time I got to him, he was struggling so bad to get up, I thought he was having a heart attack. He then proceeded to pace and pant for 3 hrs. He would go to a corner of the room and just stand there. He was on Gabapentin, Tramadol, And Robaxin. We are devastated, by know in our hearts it was the right thing to do. My friend who is a vet in a different state is upset with me and thinks I put him down too soon. This whole thing is killing me and now I'm second guessing what I did because of her....I can't stop crying

I think you did the right thing. Your dog was struggling, and you did what a loving, compassionate person does. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think your friend deserves a sharp rebuke. You were there and you know your dog as your friend could not.

Godspeed, Dylan.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A professional, even a friend who is a professional, couldn't know your dog as you did. Please don't second-guess yourself. Dylan told you the best way he could that he was ready and you honored him by listening. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I will add Dylan's name to the list of Bridge Angels. He will not be alone.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Your friend wasn't there. You were. It doesn't matter what anyone else - even us - think about it. You did what *you* thought was best.

FWIW, I think vets, and people doctors too, get stuck thinking that just because something *might* be able to be fixed, or some symptom *might* be treatable, that it should be. Sometimes, the compassionate, ethical thing to do, is to *not* try anymore.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hugs to you - and run free, Dylan

The mantra on here is "better a day too soon than a day too late..."

Sounds like Dylan was telling you it was time

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

So sorry for your loss. Please don't second guess yourself (easy to say I know). You did what you thought was best (and it sounds like he was telling you it was time). Sending hugs.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I feel that after the years that we are blessed with their unconditional love, we owe it to them to let them say goodbye with dignity and without suffering. So often, we delay that decision based on our own feelings, and desire to keep them with us. You knew in your heart that your precious boy was telling you that he was ready to go. Please don't beat yourself up over what someone who was NOT THERE thinks you should have done. Shame on her. No matter what her feelings are, telling you that you put him down too soon doesn't accomplish anything, only serves to make you feel worse than you understandably already do.

Please let yourself grieve for Dylan, celebrate his life and your time together, and try to let go of the guilt. You are guilty of nothing, in fact, you made a very difficult decision based on love and concern for your dog.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest FordRacingRon

My heart breaks for you and your loss. You know your dog better then anyone, you know when the time is right. Your pup is now running free with no pain. A dog that doesn't eat for a week and spends time vomiting is just not a healthy dog. Do not second guess,,just look forward.

Your "friend" is a fool. You and your vet--and Dylan--agreed what was best for Dylan. For your friend to second guess what you and your vet decided is both rude and unprofessional.

You were there when Dylan needed you, and you did what Dylan needed for you to do.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:bighug

And I agree with everyone else.

Better a day too early, than a minute too late .....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh, Sandy, I am so sorry!!! I know what a fabulous, caring, concerned and loving Mom you were to Dylan and there is no one on this planet who is going to convince me that you made the wrong decision. All the signs were there and you recognized what Dylan was trying to tell you. That's what greyt Moms do even when it feels like your heart is being ripped out of your chest.

Godspeed, Dylan. Send your Mom a sign...............she needs to know that you're happy, healthy and running like the wind. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

No one knows your dog better than you, your friend was cruel to say such a thing. For what it's worth, if my 13 1/2 yr old dog was struggling to get up, had stopped eating, and was pacing and panting, I would have thought it was time too. It is human nature to second guess ourselves in a situation like this, but I am sure you did what was best for your dog, no matter how hard it was for you. Shame on your friend for making it more difficult!

Guest sireltonsmom

I was told, when it was time to let Sir Elton go, "Better a day too soon than a day too late". Dylan's story mirrors our heart dog's. You did good. You did the brave and kind thing for him. Second guessing is normal I think. Dylan is out of pain and not struggling anymore.

Hugs to you and yours.

It is always HARD to make that decision, I have had to do it three times. But I said to myself I cannot bear to see them suffer any longer just because I want them to live longer. it sounds like it was his time. You will always miss them, but you put him first.

I agree it is never an easy decision, please don't second guess your decision. Your friend was not there and Dylan will be waiting for you at the bridge. He is pain free and running with friends.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I can't believe someone who is your friend, much less a vet, would question or criticize you in a situation like this. I always tell my clients with geriatric dogs that they are the best judge of when it is time to let them go. I can help provide guidance and answer medical questions, but it's ultimately their decision, and I'm there to help support that decision.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I can't believe someone who is your friend, much less a vet, would question or criticize you in a situation like this.

Agree. What a cruel, senseless thing for a so-called friend to say.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm upset that someone had judged you like that. You mentioned that this person is a vet--he/she should have known better---how hurtful. You were the only one qualified to make such a decision. Fwiw-just reading your post I believe you made a sound decision--it didn't sound like Dylan was enjoying life any longer. There becomes a point where one needs to decide if we are keeping them selfishly here just because we can't let go. I do believe second guessing your decision is only natural but, please be easy on yourself. Dylan still loves you and he is no longer unwell.

{{{hugs}}}