Kirkland Vs Pure Balance

Guest laurennf

Guest laurennf

My boyfriend and I are bringing our first grey home this Sunday and we are very excited!! We have been having difficulty deciding what food brand to feed them, however. I feel like I have been reading so much different information that my head is just crammed! We have narrowed it down to the Kirkland brand chicken and rice vs the Walmart brand Pure Balance chicken and rice. I've seen a lot of horror stories online about dogs getting really sick and having to go to the vet from the kirkland brand- but have also seen some very positive review. What are your thoughts from personal experience? Thanks!

When we got our first grey, Elliott, we used the Kirkland chicken and rice. He did fine on it, but was super gassy, so we tried the Kirkland lamb and rice, which solved the gas problems. These days we rotate between Nature's Domain salmon and potato (from Costco) and Kirkland lamb and rice, and have recently tried Nature's Domain beef an potato with good results. Chicken doesn't make all hounds gassy, but if you notice a lot of gas, you might want to try a different protein source. We've tried higher end brands, but they actually seem too rich for our two and they end up having soft serve poos.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Brady has never done well on any chicken and rice based kibble. but he has been on Kirkland Lamb and Rice for about 5 years with out any problems.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

We have fed Kirklands Lamb and Rice for a long time ...long before we had Greyhounds... With no problems at all.

My dogs eat it for supper ...and are fed Raw at breakfast.

I went to Costco yesterday to pick up a bag and they were all out ! Nver had that happen before.

:dunno

I got a bag of the Chicken and Rice instead...I'm sure they'll be fine on it. I'll mix it with the Lamb until the Lamb is gone later this week.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Don't switch all at once from what he's been eating in his foster home--that's a recipe for an upset stomach. I've been feeding Kirkland Lamb and Rice for two years--that's what the boys ate in foster care and it seems to work well for them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Dancer

I've been feeding the Costco Nature's Domain kibble (sweet potato and salmon) and they do really well with it. Plus I usually supplement with coconut oil or salmon oil. Occasionally, I'll put some chicken broth on it. Consistent poops and very little gas in our house :)

Guest Stardude82

For the Kirkland, depends what plant you get your kibble from. West of the Mississippi, kibble tends to come from the CA Diamond plant which has not had a recall yet.

Lots of people also feed Iams Green bag, which my Costco just started carrying.

We feed the ND turkey and S. Potato which came suggested by our girl's foster parents for firm stools. They both started out on lamb and rice, but switch to the Turley and Sweet potato once it became available and while we found out our boy has a grain sensitivity. Mine also get the cheap Costco fish pills and nightly melatonin for stress reduction and hair growth.

Guest FordRacingRon

My dog got tired of it but before she did , my girl ate the Kirkland LAmb and Rice for years (she is 11). Now she eats New Balance Potato and duck and sometime I have to put garbage canned food with it because,,well she is 11 and is getting picky.

Guest ctgreylover

we tried pure balace salmon. had bigger softer poops. dogfoodadvisor gave it good marks. Violet is the one who needs grain free corn free or her fur sheds more and she gets ear wax. Tony can handle anything! Give it at least a month on what ever you try. It may take a while to find a good fit.

Guest UnFROGettable

I feed my female the Pure Balance Salmon and my male the Pure Balance Bison and mix in 1/2 cup of iams green bag for each. It did take a while fo rme to find the right combination of foods to keep their "output" firm enough to actually pick up and their coats shiny. I used to feed Petsmart Authority grain free, but my female threw a lot of dandruff when she was eating it. My male isn't too fond of fish kibble, but will eat fish pills. My female loves the fish kibble, but HATES fish pills and won't eat any food if I puncture a capsule and squeeze the contents into the bowl. So I buy the two types of Pure Balance and that's been working well so far for about 7 months :)

Guest greytone

I've been feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice since 2009 and has fed to be now 3 different dogs......never had an issue. I like the food because its good stuff and is cheap. For me, I feed it because I'm a cheap-skate and I work full time at a low paying job.