Hurt Front Right Foot

Guest Winsmom

Guest Winsmom

Hi everyone:

This forum has been a great reference for me owning my first greyhound—from what type of food he should eat to training questions. However, I can’t seem to find any threads related to the type of injury my five year old male greyhound experienced earlier this week.

We were at the dog beach and he was running and having fun, until all of a sudden he stopped, cried, then limped over to me holding his right front leg up. I checked for any type of cut or injury on his paw, but found nothing. As the night progressed, the limp got more severe. I was hoping it would be better by the time I got home from work the next day, however there was no improvement, so off to the vet we went. The vet found that the pain was coming from the metacarpal area and we got x-rays to see if there were any fractures. With no fractures, the vet couldn't pinpoint what was wrong, but sent me home with metacam so he would be more comfortable.

A couple days later, his limp has gotten better (but is still there!) and he is now actually putting weight on it when he stands. He still gets excited about food and tries to run around when we gets excited (he’s quite the spunky greyhound). However, I’m not sure if this small improvement is solely due to the metacam or whatever he hurt is healing.

He’s my baby, so I’ve really been trying to figure out exactly where he is hurt. Based on my prodding, I think I’ve found out the area.

Winnie.jpg

Winnie2.jpg

In this picture, my thumb is where he is experiencing pain. It is the outside of his right front paw—it seems to be above his toe and below his wrist. It was never very swollen, however I can tell a difference from his left.

Based on the research I’ve done, it seems to be a ligament, though I am not positive.

Has anyone else’s pup experienced this type of injury? Do you have any suggestions on treatment? Right now, I’m really just trying to let him rest, however I don’t want to let the injury sit if he should have some type of splint or surgery, etc.

Winnie3.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide! Seeing him down in the dumps about not being able to play, let alone go on walks, is painful!

my scotch hurt his foot in same area. vet determined it was his toe. eventually it did heal. took quite a while though cause if he ran he would reinjure it.

Rest is probably the best cure, if there is nothing broken and no obvious swelling or heat then there isn't much, in my opinion that you can do. I am sure others will chime in.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

It's my experience that you can not splint something like that. You need to keep him quite and no running, I would walk him on a leash.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Voo Doo did something similar. First she was limping and I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed a toe was swelling a tiny bit and by that night it was really swollen. Then the foot swelled up. Naturally it was over the weekend so we did tramadol and rimadyl since it didn't seem to be an emergency.

By Monday it was going down and she was using it some. I think she jammed her toe. Nothing seemed broken and her foot seemed fine. That's the only thing we could think of.

She was fine in a couple of days.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest sireltonsmom

In addition to not letting him run and put stress on it, we found soaking our's foot in a pan of Epsom salts and very very warm water for 5 min, twice a day helped. Good luck.

Guest Winsmom

thanks so much everyone for the advice!

so far I have only been taking him out to go to the bathroom as opposed to walking-- do you think a slow walk would be okay even though he is still limping?

When one of my greyhounds partially ruptured a tendon a greyhound vet told me that on leash walking was fine but to avoid running at all costs for six months.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest saltwaterron

riley has injured her foot several times from running in the yard..vet gave her something for inflammation and it solved the problem..she is 9 yrs old and thought she would have slowed down a little...