Enclosed (Non-Dog Park) Areas In Dallas?

Guest Ariley

Guest Ariley

Hi there I have a quick request for any other North-Texans-

Any suggestions for enclosed outdoor areas I can take my greyhound, Nixie, for an off-leash run, besides dog parks?

I've heard a lot of negative press about dog parks for thin-skinned greyhounds, and I'm new enough to dog ownership that I'm not 100% confident introducing my little 40lb Nixie to lots of other dogs off-leash.

Suggestions for enclosed baseball diamonds, running tracks, etc, particularly in the North Dallas/Addison/Carrollton area would be welcome!

Also, other North Texans who would like to get together for walkies, Nixie could use some practice meeting other dogs on-leash and I'd love to chat with other greyhound owners about general training experiences and so on.

When I was living in Plano I used the baseball fields during off season times.

I always took a bunjy (have no idea how to spell that?) cord to sort of lock the gate. I walked the perimeter before letting the dogs run to check for open spots and I always cleaned up after them.

Most fields will say no dogs. It I never had a problem and I often ran into the parks maintenance people who would admire the dogs and then thanked me for cleaning up.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

She is beautiful. I love brindles. I am in Virginia so I have no suggestions.

Sorry and welcome to GreyTalk.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I don't have specific recommendations since I am not in your area either, but I've used this site to find baseball fields before: http://baseball.isport.com/baseball-fields/?&l=dallas%2C%20tx&k=&ct=US

You have to do a little further research to determine whether they're fully fenced (sometimes you can tell from Google Earth), but it's a starting point.

Nixie is a cutie. Love that last pic--so happy!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest beetle_slayer

I live in Carrollton and there are 2 dog parks close by. One is on Kellar Spgs almost to Preston but several times I was there cars were getting broken into. I don't particularly care for it. Another place is GB and DNT (SE corner). This is frequently patrolled by Dallas Police (Far North Dallas). They have separate parks for the dogs and I have taken my 2 greys there with no problems. I am a worried pawrent too. My hounds stick to my side the whole time and occaisionaly my girl would wander off for a minute then come back. This park is nice and the people are ok there. Of course it might have all changed. I have used baseball fields before but I lived in Austin at the time. I do not feel safe at a big busy dog park, so I understand where you are coming from.