Feeding 2 Kinds Of Kibble?

Guest DogNewbie

Guest DogNewbie

Hello Everyone,

Wiley has pretty much been on the Acana Wild Prairie since we got him (July 2013). However, last month we switched to Performatin Ultra Grain Free as he didn't seem to like the Acana any more. He has always had soft poops (since we got him) so I am not sure if this is just how he is or what. He seems to be doing great on this food! Soft, silky coat, bighted eyed, playful, happy etc. My question is: do you guys think it is worth feeding him half IAMS green bag and half Performatin? I'm not sure I want to feed only green bag-not to be a food snob or anything :) I just want his poops to improve a bit- in case he has some tummy upset.

What are everyone's feeling on having 2 different kinds of kibble?

I feed two different foods. I mix them in a big food barrel. I mix a grain free and a fish based food. No particular reason for it, just seems like the dogs like it.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest OPointyDog

I also mix kibble - a prescription high-fiber food (Purina DCO) and Iams (red bag). One dog gets mostly the high fiber with a little Iams, and the other dog gets mostly Iams with a little of the high fiber food. I alter the ratios slightly depending on poop firmness.

We also do a mix, and one of the bags is Iams Healthy Naturals. We used to think our boy was just a soft-pooper too, until we started mixing in some Iams. We just stick to two proteins we know he can handle, leaving the rest for in case he develops a food allergy, etc. Giving him variety is more for us - the day he doesn't go crazy for his meals will be the day we rush him to the vet for a check-up..

Guest TopazDS

I fed mine 1/2 and 1/2 for several years until I decided to try out Kirkland's lamb formula and I've fed that only for a few years. I actually fed the half to make firmer potties also.