Sparsely Eating?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

So I've had Cleo for about 2 months now.. and recently she hasn't been eating like normal. She gets 3 meals a day, she tends to throw up bile on 2 meals so thats why 3, but lately she hasn't been eating as much? She use to chomp her food down and get so excited at every meal.. but I put her food in her bowl an hour ago for her 2nd feeding and she hasn't touched it.. not a new bag of food, same food we've been giving her.. I did just get her large milkbones from costco, I give her 1 or 2 a day.. could that be it? It started happening around the 4th.. At first I thought it was just spooked from fireworks but she didn't get scared? I'm not sure... any idea?

I am not sure but when you went to 3 meals a day, did you increase her total kibble for the day?

If you increase her cups per day, you might want to make each meal a little smaller.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest sireltonsmom

Sweet Cleo! Adding 2 large Milkbones may well make her feel full. My dogs get the small dog size and only 2-4 a day. I'd recommend you break them into much smaller size. Also, greys might not eat regular if their tummy is off, or if it's too hot or any number of innocuous reasons. Then they go back to being normal. I put a bit of shredded cheese on morning kibble to entice my kids. Good luck. Let us know when she's back on track.

Guest OhCatastrophe

I am not sure but when you went to 3 meals a day, did you increase her total kibble for the day?

If you increase her cups per day, you might want to make each meal a little smaller.

Debbie

She's been on 3 meals a day for about 2-3 weeks now, if not longer... I've been giving her 4 cups, should I lessen that?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Sweet Cleo! Adding 2 large Milkbones may well make her feel full. My dogs get the small dog size and only 2-4 a day. I'd recommend you break them into much smaller size. Also, greys might not eat regular if their tummy is off, or if it's too hot or any number of innocuous reasons. Then they go back to being normal. I put a bit of shredded cheese on morning kibble to entice my kids. Good luck. Let us know when she's back on track.

It may just be the heat! Its been in the low 90s lately and we don't have air conditioning, just fans! Its going to get about 100 tomorrow, wish me luck.... haha

Edited by OhCatastrophe

It really is hard to say, you could reduce her food by a quarter cup per meal and see if her appetite picks up. If you find that she's losing weight then you can increase it.

When I first adopted Brady he was getting 4 cups per day and now at the age of 9 is getting 3 cups per day and some treats. He ballooned up to 80lbs. Nothing like all your greyhound friends telling you your dog is fat... (his tuck has reappeared)

The other option I would look at is how close her meals are together, you could try spacing them farther apart. The other thing I might consider is making the middle meal smaller and splitting the difference between breakfast and last meal of the day.

The weather here has been hot and very humid, sometimes that can cause dogs to lose interest in food.

Hope this helps -- just trying to think of options.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

heat, fireworks, summer, not getting enough exercise. it's hard to when it's hot. walkies very very early or very very late at night. reflective collar and a blinker on you helps. i wear a whistle at night. WOW- JUST READ NO AC AND IT'S GOING TO BE 100! sounds like me many moons ago. i used to escape to the delaware river and sit in it w/ my saluki. he swam, waded and did what ever else it took to cool off. will a neighbor let you hose your dog down ??

as to the throwing up, if it continues talk to your vet. she may be producing lots of stomach acid, that too can cut her appetite down. but ONLY your vet will know ....i always check in via phone. more times than less i have just written down some common sense instructions and saved a bundle. ??? did the 3 meals a day cut down on the vomiting? i have a friend whose male pukes all the time. he's on pecid ac and zantac(the acid not anxiety reducer) and something else. he's finally not puking...

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest OhCatastrophe

heat, fireworks, summer, not getting enough exercise. it's hard to when it's hot. walkies very very early or very very late at night. reflective collar and a blinker on you helps. i wear a whistle at night. WOW- JUST READ NO AC AND IT'S GOING TO BE 100! sounds like me many moons ago. i used to escape to the delaware river and sit in it w/ my saluki. he swam, waded and did what ever else it took to cool off. will a neighbor let you hose your dog down ??

as to the throwing up, if it continues talk to your vet. she may be producing lots of stomach acid, that too can cut her appetite down. but ONLY your vet will know ....i always check in via phone. more times than less i have just written down some common sense instructions and saved a bundle. ??? did the 3 meals a day cut down on the vomiting? i have a friend whose male pukes all the time. he's on pecid ac and zantac(the acid not anxiety reducer) and something else. he's finally not puking...

She has a kiddy pool in the back yard thankfully!! Also no AC, BUT I do have a moble one in my room, so it is nice and chilly in there!

And she doesn't puke on 3 meals, only on 2, thankfully!

Exersize should be an issue I wouldn't think, we've been quite active this week! I'm guessing its the heat :/

It really is hard to say, you could reduce her food by a quarter cup per meal and see if her appetite picks up. If you find that she's losing weight then you can increase it.

When I first adopted Brady he was getting 4 cups per day and now at the age of 9 is getting 3 cups per day and some treats. He ballooned up to 80lbs. Nothing like all your greyhound friends telling you your dog is fat... (his tuck has reappeared)

The other option I would look at is how close her meals are together, you could try spacing them farther apart. The other thing I might consider is making the middle meal smaller and splitting the difference between breakfast and last meal of the day.

The weather here has been hot and very humid, sometimes that can cause dogs to lose interest in food.

Hope this helps -- just trying to think of options.

I may just reduce the amount.. hopefully that helps! She's at a good weight right now, but because of the amount of treats increasing I don't think less food will do much when it comes to weight! haha

Update: it is now 2-3 hours after I gave her, her 2nd feeding and she's eating!

It may be the spacing of the meals, or at least partially that!

Guest jbeth

My grey "Chan" sometimes would not eat his first meal of the day. Through trial and error found in was the end meal of the previous day was too early, causing too much of a distance between meals. (sensitive stomach). His last meal is now around 10 pm and he heartily eats his breakfast now.

Do you free feed or have structured mealtime?

A lot of the dilly-dallying with food can be solved by feeding her at the same time everyday, and giving her a set duration to eat. My dogs get two meals (7:30AM and 7:30PM). They get 15 minutes to eat. If they don't eat in that amount of time, the bowl comes up, and they can wait until the next meal. It sounds harsh, but it's really not. Dogs can go a much longer time than humans without eating, so missing a meal isn't a big deal. Sometimes, they need to miss a meal before they realize, "Hey, if I don't eat when I'm supposed to, then I'm not eating period." Having a set schedule makes your life easier, especially if you ever want to add a second dog.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IrskasMom

I personally think , that is normal for some Greyhounds . Morty eats well some Days and the next few Days very sparsely . It's been that way forever and I don't get upset anymore.The Heat could have some effect in our Area .