How To Introduce Dogs? Help?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

So I'm house and dog sitting for my next door neighbor for 3 weeks, he has a high strung 1-2 year old Mini Australian Shepherd named Keesa. Cleo and Keesa have met through the fence that separates our yards. They get along well and sniff eachother. Cleo even tries to play with her through the fence, and same with Keesa. He said that I can bring her over and have them meet but I was just wondering how I should do that?

Here's a picture of the crazy pup haha

9ZcnmH0.png?1

He also has a sweet old dog thats a shetland sheepdog named Sadie, she's not into coming over and playing anytime soon! haha!

KH15L7h.png?2

(she's my favorite... shhhh..)

Edited by OhCatastrophe

I would bring her over and have both dogs leashed up. Having an extra pair of hands would be good so you can walk boyh dogs around the yard and if you see things aren't going well you can quickly separate them. They should recognize each others scent if they have been sniffing through the fence.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest OhCatastrophe

I would bring her over and have both dogs leashed up. Having an extra pair of hands would be good so you can walk boyh dogs around the yard and if you see things aren't going well you can quickly separate them. They should recognize each others scent if they have been sniffing through the fence.

I'll try that and have my boyfriend or mom help!

Guest sireltonsmom

I agree. The pack walk on neutral ground is good. Your dog goes inside her home first. You might have your n'bor do this with you before she goes. Btw, I give a written permission note to my vet authorizing watcher to take my dog(s) to vet if necessary and get treatment. I also provide written detail of usual times they eat, go out, any special info like pills etc. To the watcher. Hope the doggies do well together. Is there a Plan B in case they don't?

Teddy Palmer, halfway home greyhounds, has always recommended taking dogs on walk to neutral territory leashed - each party brings a few treats in their pocket which they share with all parties - then allow all to walk together - to yard and then into house to ease into personal territory......has always worked great when introducing new doggies!!!!

My friend and I walked her Retriever and my hounds together. The first time she brought her dog over they completely ignored each other.. the entire night.

I think Greys get along with other dogs because they're used to being in a pack at the kennel when they raced. I know, that's a huge generalization but none of my Greys have ever had a problem with other dogs in their house or in general. I did realize when my friend's dog came over that my 2 are brats but that's totally different. :)

Guest snowpuppy

I agree with doing the pack walk for basic introductions if there's just two dogs. Its one of the easiest ways of doing things.

After that then yeah, I'd do a meeting at your friends house in the back yard (not inside yet). I'd recommend that both owners leave the leashes dragging from the collars until your sure that there isn't going to be a physical altercation that requires intervention. It usually doesn't take long to see for sure. The reasoning behind the leash is that its easier and safer for everyone on 2 legs and 4 to break something up with both owners securing a leash and moving their dogs away from one another...than it is to put your hands into that.

Another thing that's important is to make sure that you know when your dog is in distress or behaving inappropriately or not...and your friend does the same so that corrections can be made immediately, rather than letting them reinforce themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck with walking introductions.

They way it was explained to me is you have one dog on leash and have the second dog come up from behind and allow a walking sniff and then walk for a bit and then switch position allowing the other dog gets a walking sniff.

The walk after that is normally pretty mellow after that, also never hearts to have a tired dog.

The most an important thing is to not be nervous the dog will wonder what is wrong.

Ry

Dino and Stella