Best Shampoo For Greys?

Guest TatumJ

Guest TatumJ

I have been looking at a good shampoo for our grey since I know they have sensitive skin/coats (or so I have read.) I found this one and was unsure if it would be safe for them or not.

http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-lavaggio-prima-animal-lovers-for-pets-herbal-therapy-shampoo-and-treatment-warrior-formula-32-fl-o.htm

What are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

We've used regular pet shampoos on our greyhounds in the past without any issues. With that said, we most recently used Pretty Baby Naturals liquid pet shampoo to wash our hound pack. No problems. We like Pretty Baby for ourselves - all natural, family business.

http://www.prettybabynaturals.com/product-category/pets-home/

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

oatmeal based, if you can get some aloe in it...go for it. the main thing is rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again. yes, your dog will have dandruff after, but that's true of many breeds with thinner coats. if you can get away w/ just hosing down and shampooing the dirty legs and head(my male always sticks his head under annie and gets a shower when she marks), then that's even better. if the water is too warm the greyhounds melt and lie down. the only breed that i have bathed that does that.

I don't ever use people shampoo on dogs. They're not babies after all!

Most Greyhounds have dry, not sensitive, skin. I like a shampoo for dry (dog) skin.

In case you're not aware, some greyhounds will actually "faint" while being bathed if the water is too warm. Mine did the first time and I thought I had killed him! So if you're doing your first bath, make sure the water is NOT too hot!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We use "Natural Care" Hypo-allergenic pet shampoo. It's soap-free for sensitive skin, and can be used on dogs treated with Advantage without reducing it's effectiveness.

Earthbath products are nice (IIRC, their oatmeal with aloe is a mild shampoo). They offer a conditioning cream rinse too.

Earthbath products are nice (IIRC, their oatmeal with aloe is a mild shampoo). They offer a conditioning cream rinse too.

Seconded. No cloying, perfumey smell either. I like their wipes and waterless grooming foam (for between baths) as well.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I just use normal dog shampoo with conditioners. :)

I used to use the same shampoo for everybody but once we started doing competitive events I got fancy. :lol I have a special shampoo for black dogs, a special shampoo for white dogs, and a special shampoo for wire coats (for one of my Ibizans) but that is because I liked that added touch, not because it is required. ;)

Guest TheGirlz

I have used all sorts of dog shampoo, oatmeal, sensitive you name it I tried it, but regardless of how much rinsing I did Tessa always got dandruff. I have now found a great product call WashBar, it's a locally made product here in New Zealand and I haven't seen a spot of dandruff since. I know they send to different parts of the world (I just don't know where) so take a look at washbar.co.nz they may to able to send to you if you send them a query. - and no I don't have any type of link with them, I just think it is a fabulous product. :thumbs-up

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TatumJ

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am again on the hunt for a good shampoo. We haven't ordered one yet, have just been using our usual but it seems to be making our girl flake like CRAZY!! Any ideas on what would work best to limit the dandruff are much appreciated!

Guest AimeeBee

We use the Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo as well. It smells nice and the price is decent. There is a conditioner as well.

I just got some blueberry scented stain removing shampoo (I think it's made by Tropiclean) to try and battle the nasty food-'stache that George has going on at the moment. Haven't used it on him yet, but it smells nice.

Edited by AimeeBee

Guest itsallgreyt

Recently found some herbal doggie soap called 'Shampoochie' made locally in Sautee, GA by Greenstone Soap Company (greenstonesoap.com). Dog lovers/owners around the area as well as some park rangers were raving about it. Bought one & gave as a gift, then went back to their storefront to get more and they had sold out (were expecting to get more in the same day but I was leaving that morning.) Must sell well - its over 1/3 of their business!

Anyone heard of it?

Think I'm going to give it a try - it smells ~wonderful~. Jake is prone to "golden paw" (love that description!) and seems like this would be nice to wash that off with.

Guest rathma

I'm not a big fan of actually shampooing my greyhounds but when it comes to flakey dandruff, a groomer suggested Nizoral for humans. I treated my one guy twice and all dandruff is gone. I was totally amazed and impressed!

M