Longish Car Trips

Guest Literaqueen

Guest Literaqueen

Me again, the newbie owner. I have a two hour drive from when I pick up my greyhound to when we get home. I've never had a dog in the car before. How long is too long for potty stops? Is she likely to make it all the way home, or should I plan a rest stop?

Guest Scouts_mom

I try to stop once an hour when I'm driving long distances. Part of that is for the dogs and part is for me to stretch and relieve myself.

I would be sure to walk her for a bit before you get in the car and then don't stop. She is new, you are new. I wouldn't stop with a new dog.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Dancer

I've had no troubles traveling for 3 hours. By the end of the trip - all of us are ready for a walk, mostly to stretch our legs.

The dogs hold their bladders for 8-10 hours on regular working days. We generally let them out whenever we stop for food, gas, or human bathroom breaks. So on an 8 hour drive we probably let them out 2-3 times. When we've been driving in bad weather though the dogs have made do with just one.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would be sure to walk her for a bit before you get in the car and then don't stop. She is new, you are new. I wouldn't stop with a new dog.

Agree with 4my2greys and kamsmom. Two hours is usually not too long. The only exception is if she looks like she's about to explode to eliminate inside the car. ;) (Hopefully the adoption group will not have fed her a big meal just before her ride home so she won't need to go potty.)

An important tip for you is regarding her leash when she is being walked:

Place your hand through the leash handle, and then wrap it around your wrist and hand a couple of times.

Then hold the leash with both hands for safest control.

It's safest to walk with a dog's shoulder next to your leg. (Please don't allow dog to walk at the end of the leash too far in front of you.)

It should all go fine. I'm excited for your new adoption! :)

Guest shanesmom

I would walk her well before getting in the car and then not stop along the way. I just returned from a trip to Kansas from ohio. The longest day was about 10 hours driving. We stopped every few hours and walked a bit and had water. No problems.

Also important, be sure you firmly body-block the door when you open it to leash her up to get out. Just make up your mind that she's not getting out of that car, no way no how, until the leash is attached to the collar and your hand.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest LazyBlaze

Yep, as others have said, I would just make sure she pees before she gets into the car, then I wouldn't stop during the journey unless she seems really agitated. Let her pee in your garden when you get home and before you take her into her exciting new home - good luck!

I wouldn't stop on such a short trip unless I absolutely had to.

:nod

A brisk walk before you load her up, then just go!

My group recommended we layer old sheets in the back of the car...Then, if she makes a mess, you can remove the top one and still have layers underneath.

Take a garbage bag to throw soiled sheets into...

That said.... We've never had a dog have an accident.

If you only have a sedan, get a 'hammock' for the back seat so she won't slide off onto the floor.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

sheets or a blanket will do the trick. just try to keep the car cool, pump the ac up and YOU wear a long sleeve shirt. the dogs like it cool.... safe travels!

you can't use the hammock since you have a 2 door, like i have.

i just slide the front seat up all the way, pop it forward and in she goes. hold the leash while you slide your seat back. the very quickly jump in, MAKE SURE THE LEASH IS INSIDE THE CAR! if you can fasten the leash to the head rest of the other seat that might be an asset while you are getting in if you feel it is necessary. another leash looped around the head rest will work. i personally have never done this w/ a new dog. i start using the stay command. you should give her enough time to find the seat before you get in yourself. annie stood for the first couple of weeks on the floorboard just wedged behind the 2 front seats. as you saw by the pic, she's fine now.

I don't consider 2 hours a long car trip. The risk of stopping and letting the dog out, a dog who doesn't know you or trust you, is far, far greater than just driving.

And in case no one told you, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER leave your dog in the car in the summer unless the engine is running and the air conditioning is blasting.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck