Having A Hard Time Getting Sidney To Eat

Well, recently, Sidney hasn't been very interested in eating. We started adding something "interesting" to his food to bribe him to eat... But it's getting harder and harder to bribe him.

His behavior has been the same other-wise.... Active, runs around, no scratching, licking himself, poop is normal, etc.

He eats treats still just fine.

Granted, it has been hot here lately. But the last few days have cooled off significantly but at hasn't affected this behavior.

We are thinking of bringing him to the vet for some tests.

Anything else we can do or look out for? I kinda think he's just bored of his food?

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I don't know how old your Sidney is, but it doesn't do any harm to get a check up, especially with an older dog. However, many dogs do go off their food in the warmer weather. They simply don't feel like eating because they don't need the calories - they don't have to keep themselves warm, and they're not running about so much. Even my Sidney is not eating breakfast and he's a real pig at the trough usually!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I should have added his age... He is 5.

I have read that the heat affects them sometimes.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

As long as he's getting one good meal a day, I wouldn't worry over much - provided he's otherwise healthy and acting all right. If he gets hungry, he'll eat. But if his behavior changes, or his poop gets funky, off to the vet for a check up!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

First two things I consider when ours won't eat are possible dental pain (teeth or gums), and do they need an outside elimination break before their meal. If dental pain is an issue, a vet visit is needed soon but until then, letting kibble soften in water may allow the dog to get through a few meals. Yes Greys are temperature sensitive. Since you've had a few days of cooler weather, sounds like Sidney may have another issue too.

Thanks all.

He did have a dental in April, but it wasn't a "get out under, X-rays, etc" one. We also always soak their kibble in water.

Though it did get cooler, it's back to being hot today, so I don't know if that is still playing a factor.

We probably will take him in for a check up if his eating doesn't get any better, or gets worse. So far he is eating 2 meals a day, but like I said, we have to bribe him to eat by adding a little yogurt, etc to his kibble. He's always been a little finicky with eating since we've had him.

Sardines are a favorite of Brady's... packed in olive oil.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest chickenpotpie

We eventually moved Lucky to eating once a day. This suits her much better and she doesn't give me the "mom I'm not hungry" look at breakfast anymore. She still gets a mid morning snack ( 1/2 mashed nanner with coconut oil), just no breakfast, and then a dinner (and cookies at bedtime)

Granted though Lucky has had a complete dental, which she had a bit of tarter and nothing else, she's just not much of a morning person, up to and including food (she sleeps until 9-10am!).

If he's being finicky, Trippet canned tripe *insert hurl emoticon* seems to be loved by most dogs. Lucky would get it more often if I could stand the smell, but then again I have my line in the sand....

Its possible that your pup is pretty much the same, and one main meal a day will work just fine for them.

Would heat be a factor even if the dog lives in an air-conditioned home?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Would heat be a factor even if the dog lives in an air-conditioned home?

This is what I'm wondering.... Our home is air-conditioned, but they still seem sluggish lately.

Although the other one, June still eats like it's her last meal lol

Ewwwwww sardines and tripe?

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Wendy has been very inconsistent with food lately. Some days she'll eat her 2 meals with gusto; other days she may eat one meal, occasionally she'll skip both meals. She had a check-up recently and she's healthy. Her weight is stable. She's always been a good eater but at now at 8 years old she's getting finicky. She will always accept a treat, though.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Air conditioning is usually very helpful in keeping them in a normal environment, so eating wouldn't be an issue.

If dogs have been outside on a walk or had play time earlier and got overheated, it could affect them for many hours thereafter.

Not sure of the duration timing of Sidney's disinterest in meals; however, this seasonal timing of fireworks celebrations can create hesitation in eating meals. Other stressors unrelated to food can build-up for dogs which can prevent their interest in meals at other times.

One of our hounds (who has SA) often refuses to eat meals until all the other hounds have finished their meals, and relaxed for a nap. Sometimes she prefers to wait a few hours after others' meals are finished, or sometimes she waits until bedtime to eat. If she waits too long, it causes a vicious cycle for a couple of days because her tummy is empty too long, then she shuts down to eating anything until the next day. She's a rare case, sometimes prefers dry kibble, but usually watered down. I test her first with dry food in the morning. (If wet kibble needs to be saved longer than about 30-45 minutes, it should be be refrigerated to keep it from going bad, then reintroduced at the next meal time.)

If you've been consistently adding different 'bribes' and mix-ins, he's learned to hold out. He thinks if he waits, he'll get something better. I'd stop all mix-ins and take the bowl up after 15 minutes. Take it or leave it. After a few times of not eating, he'll most likely get hungry and give in. If not, then it may be time for a vet check.

• 2 months later...

Well this is an old topic, but figure I would update it...

Sidney got more and more difficult to get to eat.... then June stopped eating her food as well!

We decided to rule out everything and took them both to the vet. Full bloodwork, wellness check, etc. All was perfect.

We JUST had a full dental done on both of them as well. It went very well, and no extractions were needed :confetti

So our conclusion?

They are both simply bored with their current food.

I had some sample bags of food from GIG and decided to give them a try.

Guess what? They both scarfed it up.

Luckily the sample brand is very similar to what we were already feeding them and comes in a variety of flavors. So hopefully, if they start to get bored again, we can simply get another flavor.

LOL- the little picky pups!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI