Help Please

Guest onegreydog

Guest onegreydog

My dog Laci just somehow split open the bottom ( ball ) of her foot. Very little bleeding. I can see into her foot. YUCK! I think they are called tendons. I poured warm water over it to clean it out. I gave her one baby aspirin. What else should I do? She limps on it.

Edited by onegreydog

I presume you mean the large pad of the foot? Regardless of whether or not you can see tendons she needs to be seen by a vet asap. If you have bathed it then cover it with a clean plastic bag and secure it to keep any dirt out until she can be treated. There is a real risk of serious infection in a wound like this due to it being in contact with the ground. Hope she's ok. Keep us posted.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest alannamac

I presume you mean the large pad of the foot? Regardless of whether or not you can see tendons she needs to be seen by a vet asap. If you have bathed it then cover it with a clean plastic bag and secure it to keep any dirt out until she can be treated. There is a real risk of serious infection in a wound like this due to it being in contact with the ground. Hope she's ok. Keep us posted.

Yep. Poor dear. These things always seem to happen on weekends.....you should find your nearest e-vet to get it checked out today.

Hope she is patched up and feeling better soon.

Make sure the vet you see knows you gave her the aspirin, and don't give her any more. But yes, she needs a vet, and sooner rather than later.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest onegreydog

No pads are involved at all. Right in the middle of her foot in the center. I am going to put Neosporin ointment on it and wrap it in gauze also. I need to try to find a vet on Sunday!

Edited by onegreydog

No pads are nvolved at all. Right in the middle of her foot in the center.

Same advice applies I'm afraid, due to the risk of infection.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

The vet may want to stitch it. Be sure to tell them how easily stitches tear out of greyhounds in this area. My Jeff split the webbing between two toes awhile back, and because of this warning my vet put in some extra layers of stitches. I restricted Jeff to leash walks for 3 weeks and put a cone or muzzle on him when I was out to prevent licking / pulling at the stitches. It was all worth it - the stitches held until the vet took the outer ones out and we had no problems with the foot during or after.

As noted above, be sure to also tell your vet about the aspirin.

Yep - I agree with the others. Take her to the vet and let them know what you've given her in the way of meds.

Cover it with gauze/soft bandage and vet wrap if you have it (first aid 'Elastoplast' type tape if you don't), but I wouldn't add the plastic bag, not if it's hot where you are. Wounds sweat horribly inside plastic and it encourages the growth of bacteria.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

No aspirin.

Vet attempted to stitch the area with Thane. On the next visit they glued it and it worked. But don't do that yourself. Keep it clean, dry, covered. No hydrogen peroxide. If you haven't already gone to the vet I'd go to get it checked and see if antibiotics are needed. Not sure if they could stitch it since so many hours have passed, but they may be able to still glue it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest onegreydog

I took Laci to the ER vet. They had to use stitches. They used inside stitiches and outside stitiches. They wrapped her foot & leg. I remove the wrap in the morning. They sent her home with antibiotics and pain meds. Stitiches can be removed in 10 days. She is out of it tonight. It hurts her to walk on it. I hope the pain is less for her tomorrow. She shakes when she went outside to relieve herself. We carried her most of the way.

Thanks everyone for all of your info. It really helped me get through this.

Poor Laci. Sounds as if she really sliced herself there. I hope she heals fast.

Do they not want you to continue with a dressing on it at all? That seems most unusual. Sid had a small accident and partially de-gloved the upper part of a toe and they kept it wrapped for several days and then asked me to cover it when he went out if it was wet. On the bottom of the foot I'd have thought that it was even more important to protect it.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

What made you give her a baby asprin?

Dogs CAN take asprin, and a baby sized dose isn't big enough--but it should be buffered (Ascriptin is good). But asprin thins the blood and increases the potential for bleeding problems, so it's really not a good choice for a CUT. I suppose you wanted to do something for the pain? Now you no! No asprin for cuts!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest alannamac

Glad she is doing well and you found someone to close the wound. She should heal up quickly now you just need to keep an eye out for infection. Poor dear I hope it stops hurting so much soon.

You're a good mama : ) Perhaps you can call your regular vet and get some appropriate pain meds for her to help her out, and a little extra for if something happens like this again.

I'm sorry you're going through this ... and HELLO (I see you're pretty new).

Is this your first grey?

As mentioned earlier, you might want to get some additional pain meds ... the first few days (perhaps up to a week) could be pretty painful on that spot. Deramaxx, Tramadol, Rimadyl are common ones, although each has some side effects that you might want to check into (look for other threads here so you can at least be familiar with the signs).

I can also highly recommend Vetericyn as a spray to help promote/speed up healing of cut wounds. If your vet gave an ointment for Laci's foot, then you would put the spray on before the ointment (there shouldn't be any risks for using them together, along with any oral antibiotic and/or pain meds that you may have).

If Laci isn't used to wearing her muzzle, you might want to get her used to it. In a few days, she's probably going to start licking/chewing on that foot. Healing wounds can itch, and Laci has easy access to feetsies. So without a muzzle (with either a poop guard or duct tape) or a foot bandage, Laci will probably be taking those dang stitches out herself. In a matter of minutes, Laci can undo all of the work your vet did, and of course that skin is so thin, you won't be able to re-do any of the stitches.

Keep us posted on her healing, and good luck to YOU!

Guest onegreydog

Laci is feeling much better now. The er vet sent her home with antibiotics and pain meds for 10 days. Tramadol for pain and Cephalexin antibiotics. As long as I am in the room with her I can leave it uncovered.The Dr. wants it uncovered as much as possible. When I take her outside to potty, I wrap it up and put a sock over her foot. Then I put her foot into a plastic bag to keep it dry and clean. She is used to wearing a muzzle when I board her at the greyhound kennel. They use them when they turn the dogs out.

My regular vet will be the one to remove the stitches.

Very little bleeding at all but I knew she had to be in pain so I gave her the baby aspirin. I will remember not to give it with a cut.

Laci is my only greyhound.

I will give another update in a few days.

Again thank you all for your help.

That's a good update. Keep an eye out for any swelling of the foot. Just loosed the wrapping if you do. And treat with :dogcookie :dogcookie :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png