How Long Before Seeing Improvement With Rimadyl?

The weather was pretty mild here yesterday so Sweep ran a little harder and a little longer than usual yesterday afternoon, and then I think her evening walk on top of that *really* did her in. She's been limping badly since about 7 p.m. and when there was no noticeable improvement this morning, we took her to the vet. (She was due for her annual checkup anyway and with them being closed on Sundays, I thought better safe than sorry.) The vet checked her legs, toes, pads, spine, and neck and did not feel anything out of the ordinary. Sweep whined a bit when both front feet were being examined, and in fact it was difficult for the vet to assess which front leg has the problem; she seems to be alternating which one she puts pressure on. Anyway, we were sent home with Rimadyl and instructions to take it easy, and to return Monday or Tuesday for xrays if things do not improve. Having never given Sweep any NSAIDs or painkillers before, I am wondering when I should expect to see improvement if it is in fact a pulled muscle or similar. Her spirits are good (still roaching like a champ) and her appetite is fine, but she's pretty pitiful walking-wise. She got her first dose (100 mg) about two hours ago.

Thanks!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

You're giving 100mgs once daily right?? Of course depending on the extent of the injury I don't think you should expect to see too much improvement for a few days. Think of it like you taking Advil for a muscle pull-it takes time. Wonder if she hurt both feet from the extra pounding. Remember to give the rimadyl with food.

You're giving 100mgs once daily right?? Of course depending on the extent of the injury I don't think you should expect to see too much improvement for a few days. Think of it like you taking Advil for a muscle pull-it takes time. Wonder if she hurt both feet from the extra pounding. Remember to give the rimadyl with food.

Yes, once daily, and we did/will give it with food. She could very well have hurt both feet; we have a concrete patio and she tears across that too, which can't feel too good. Thanks for the input.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Guest DeniseL

We keep rimadyl stocked in our house. It works wonders for aches, pains, and inflammation. But we are careful with it an do not use it unless absolutely necessary.

I am pretty sure it's a mg per pound of body weight...

We keep rimadyl stocked in our house. It works wonders for aches, pains, and inflammation. But we are careful with it an do not use it unless absolutely necessary.

I am pretty sure it's a mg per pound of body weight...

Just to clarify--rimadyl is dosed as either 1mg/lb given twice daily OR 2mgs/lb once daily. The latter is actually recommend by Pfizer.

If it's a muscle problem, it can take a couple days to resolve. If you don't see improvement by Monday or Tuesday, as your vet recommended, you should go back in - could be something in her neck, bruised pads, anything that might not show up on a physical exam that wouldn't respond to an nsaid.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just to clarify--rimadyl is dosed as either 1mg/lb given twice daily OR 2mgs/lb once daily. The latter is actually recommend by Pfizer.

Just a thought; did the vet know she'd been running really hard on concrete?

It could well be a pulled muscle (or more than one pulled muscle) but the other possibility is a stress fracture (or, indeed, more than one stress fracture). Pounding on a hard surface will sometimes do that. It wouldn't be a complete bone break; you can get what used to be called 'hairline' fractures, or even little bone chips at the joints which can be very painful. It might be worth getting her front legs x-rayed if she doesn't improve within a few days, or if she gets worse.

Just as a side note, we were told by our vet that Rimadyl supposed to be more effective if you split the dose and give twice daily. I don't think it's that important, though. We've also found that if one NSAID doesn't seem to be effective, it's worth trying a different one.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just a thought; did the vet know she'd been running really hard on concrete?

I did not bring that up specifically (should have), but the vet did mention a hairline fracture as a possibility as well. Here's a shot of the yard:

photo4.jpg

She's firmly established her racetrack diagonally across the pad from one corner of the yard to the other, in a big oval. Eventually, I want to build a screened-in porch right over it, which will solve the problem of her running across it, but in the short term I'm not sure how to prevent it.

BUT...

...this morning she does seem a bit better. :yay She's been stiffer when she first gets up, so the fact that she actually seemed to have improved after a long night's sleep gives me hope that in another couple of days she'll be back to almost 100%.

Thanks for the responses, all.

Good to hear she's feeling a bit better!

I was imagining a whole yardful of concrete slabs, but even so, I guess hitting a short stretch of concrete at full speed and then turning on it could potentially cause problems. Hopefully it's nothing worse than a sprain or sore muscles. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop