Thunderstorms And Eat Habits

Is anyone having issues getting their greyhound to eat in the evening with all the storms?? I feel like every evening around dinner time mine will not eat. Now we've had a lot of evening storms recently. This just started this week. I just had bloodwork done for and laceration repair the week prior and everything was normal. The thunder shirt is on. She will only eat if I'm next to her at the bowl.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Yup. I have two - my male is non plussed with storms and nothing will keep him from his food bowl. My female, as I type, is panting and fretting because the thunder is rolling right now and can only think of fear, poor baby. Meanwhile, Buca (male) is lounging comfortably on a full belly at my feet and wondering what her problem is. I feed her when all is quiet. Last night it was 10 pm.

I think your girl will be fine.

One of mine does the same thing. She will pant and pace and refuse to eat during a storm, and then she will finish it all later.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest UnFROGettable

You're definitely not the only one!! My girl, Devina, won't eat in the kitchen, so I feed her outside. She is a SLOW eater. My male, Stryker, inhales his food in the kitchen and then we both sit outside and wait for Devina to finish. Living in FL, we get daily/nightly thunderstorms in the Summer. This season, it seems as if the storms wait to blow through until right around their feeding time. Stryker is actually the one that is truly fearful of storms--shivering & panting but NOTHING will keep him from his food! Poor Devina feels his nervous energy and will only eat if I hand feed her.

Yes. Cash won't eat if there's any sort of weather challenge. As long as your girl is getting one good meal a day, I would try and not stress about it. She'll eat when she's able (or when she gets hungry enough).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest OhCatastrophe

not thunderstorms but fireworks! we were gone for about 8 hours (she gets fed 3 times a day) we missed her 1 PM feeding and was about an hour late for her dinner feeding and she only ate half a cup... through out that time I think fire works were going off, we heard them when we got home.. she finally calmed down a bit and ate a little more but there is still food in the dish and she normally gobbles it down!

Edited by OhCatastrophe

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky refuses to eat during a storm as well. I just hold her and put a towel over her head :hehe:beatheart I love my silly dog. Once she calms down and isn't panting and drooling everywhere she eats fine.

Fireworks weren't a big issue this year, because the holiday got rained out. But there's still the rest of July to not look forward to right?

Ugh u are lucky there were no fireworks. We have so many it was unbelievable. Thundershirt nor the dap collar helped. She had slept in the closet every night for the last 3 days. Last night she did sleep on her bed most of the night. I'm just happy July 4th is over. :)

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15