Keeping Cool

Magic has a weak back end due to probable LS. We live somewhere with no AC so, needless to say, Magic's back end is weaker right now due to the heat and humidity.

My thought is to use a wet dishtowel to keep him cool. Where is the best place to put it on his body? His neck? His back end?

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I would think his stomach, if he'll let you.

Would he lay down in front of a box fan?

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My vet told me place a cold wet towel on the underside of a greyhound's chest/stomach to cool him down quickly - with its exaggerated form and sparse/non-existent hair cover it has already been 'designed' for the rapid dissipation of heat, when the dog runs....

... for the same reason you should keep it covered in winter, when standing around in the cold.(Not so much of an issue if they are exercising!)

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest sireltonsmom

A kiddie pool is helpful if he can manage it. Feet in cool water is a quick cooldown. Stay cool sweet Magiic!

There are portable AC units that are really affordable and small and easy now. I have several. They are on wheels. There's just a hose to vent out the window. They start at about $200. When weather is nice, just remove hose from window and roll into a closet.

this might be an option.

Keeping him wetted down while the fan is blowing on him will help cool him more quickly. Underside of the neck, chest down between the legs, back of the neck and head.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

put a cold towel on his chest to cool him off.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I don't have AC either :( I read that the best place to cool is the stomach and paws. So...a kiddie pool can help with the paws if you can do that. I also have those cooling collars that you put in the freezer. You can buy cooling dog beds, but I don't know how well they work.

Vets taught me that cool damp towels work as long as the towels are removed as soon as the dog's body heat warms the towels; otherwise, towels trap and increase heat. Check towel every few minutes, and rerinse towel with cool water as needed.

We slowly rinse their paws, legs, armpits, chest, then tummy with water to help cool them down in warm weather.

If taking a walk on a sunny day and the air temperature is anywhere near their tolerance threshold (for our hounds that's 70 degrees), we rinse them off before and after the walk. A pet water bottle allows them a drink and to be wet down during the walk too.

Edited by 3greytjoys

I use a spray bottle to 'mist' our guys.

Neck, chest, belly, between their hind legs.....

They lay very still while I spritz them.....really seem to appreciate it!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We don't have AC here either, just ceiling fans and box fans. You may have seen in the C&F forum the pics of our indoor pool. Just being able to step into some cool water during the day seems to help. Angel Pal also had LS and he was a frequent visitor to the indoor pool.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.