Red's Autopsy Results

Guest alannamac

Guest alannamac

Hi, for reference for others who may go through the same thing, I just wanted to post the findings of the autopsy for my baby Red. My original post of his illness was titled

Very Sick Grey...advice Needed Not Sure How To Proceed Or If To Procee just in case anyone is trying to look it up later.

So here goes..... I am cutting and pasting from another message forgive me if it seems disjointed but I've written it several times.

For Red it apparently was all intestinal and there was no immune response seen so it wasn't allergy, autoimmune or infection. They biopsied several areas of the intestine, kidney, liver, spleen and possibly other tissues but it all was so overwhelming I might've missed something.

My vet said there was absolutely nothing we could've done even if we'd known.

One of the vets in my greyhound adoption group lost her dog a few months ago to this exact condition I'm about to describe...she recognized it earlier than I did (by a month) but still couldn't save her girl.

The overall rundown is he had a combination of intestinal conditions that were unrecoverable. If we had known ahead of time it was going to happen there was still no way to stop it and no way to save him.
The conditions he had were a "perfect trifecta" all bowel related
and it was going to happen no matter what........it was a train wreck of unknown causes and totally out of our hands...
No cancer seen in any of the tissues analyzed, but he had protein losing enteropathy (PLE), lymphangiecstasia....where the cells lining
the intestine have completely reconfigured themselves and decided to perform a different function,
mild IBD, and many intestinal lesions. No sign of autoimmune illness, it's completely idiopathic (of unknown cause)
She said his kidneys had mild inflammation but were not losing protein into the urine.... the loss was all the bowel. Liver was fine, no sign of liver disease, spleen
had hemmorraged with severe acute necrosis (probably from the PLE but possibly from injury)
My poor Red dog : ( I wish I had known so I could let him go sooner.

I'm going to copy this post and put in the medical section in case anyone else is facing a crisis like this. Hopefully it may help even if just to ease the heartache.

Edited by alannamac

I'm so sorry. I lost my Jack to lymphangiectasia. He was losing protein, and an ultrasound showed a mass. Did surgery, and found out the mass was 'clogged lymphatics'. We put him on pred, trying to get it under control....but then he developed blood clots so we let him go. I fully understand how hard it is. Please don't beat yourself up for not knowing sooner--there wasn't any way you could've known.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Thank you for sharing. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry :(.

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

We lost a dog to PLE, as well. It's so hard to know what to do and when to stop trying to make it better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Big hugs to you. And a big thank you for sharing those results.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Lillypad

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for having the strength to share your autopsy findings. I am certain it will be helpful for others.

Oh, I'm so sorry. This must have been terribly difficult for you. Sometimes everything we do, every way we try to keep them safe and healthy, just isn't enough, and it's not our fault, or yours. He knew how much you loved him. :grouphug

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:grouphug Thank you for sharing.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks for sharing Red's Autopsy report. I hope you find peace knowing you did everything you could for Red.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest alannamac

Is this a genetic disease or just a draw of unlucky numbers? I'm so sorry for your loss....

I have no idea.....I know it's found in some breeds of dogs at very high levels and probably genetic there...greyhounds weren't on that list....perhaps some of the vets and vet techs with knowledge of this can chime in?

Is this a genetic disease or just a draw of unlucky numbers? I'm so sorry for your loss....

"The most common cause of lymphangiectasia was congenital malformation of the lymphatics. Secondary lymphangiectasia may be caused by granulomas or cancer causing lymphatic obstruction, or increased central venous pressure (CVP) causing abnormal lymph drainage. Increased CVP can be caused by pericarditis or right-sided heart failure. Inflammatory bowel disease can also lead to inflammation of the lymphatics and lymphangiectasia through migration of inflammatory cells through the lymphatics"

- information from a google search, not sure which website had this info

ETA-information reference.

Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Thank you for sharing. I hope knowing you did everything you could for Red helps you find peace.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I am so sorry. At least you know now that nothing would have helped or saved him - that might seem like cold comfort right now, but in time it might help to know. Whatever you do, do not beat yourself up for not letting him go sooner. If you had done so, you'd be beating yourself up for not trying harder so it's a lose-lose situation and better not to go there.

You did all that you could. You made the best choices you could make, with the information which was available to you and you did it all with love. No dog could ask for more.

Sending many hugs. :grouphug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop