Type Of Muzzles-Suggestions

I tried a search here about muzzles but couldn't find it. I have a question on a muzzle other than a basket type. I

found a leather one on line and wondered

if anyone uses this rather than a basket type.

Charlie wasn't on the race track so isn't as accustomed to them as the other greys would be. Yes he wore one at the

shelter when going out with other dogs but i'm just wondering if leather

would be more comfy. I'll try to post a picture. It is from Leerburg and not the police type.

my emoticons and links don't seem to work. I did see some padded basket ones also and maybe this would be better. The one I have is too hard and I don't use it.

reason I need one: He was attacked by an off leash dog a year ago, I know there are many stories like that and it is

maddening.

Sometimes on our walk he will get reactive when he sees a strange dog and has redirected a nip towards me in his

excitement. Of course I know he doesn't mean to hurt me and then feels badly but I can't be nervous taking him on walks anymore and worry about being bitten. I used to love our long walks but now unless there are no other dogs around

besides my other dog, i'm always on hyper alert. btw when he was attacked I foolishly stepped in between to protect him. Luckily Charlie lunged at the dog and nipped him which made the dog back up in time for the idiot owner to get him. This off leash dog had bitten a jogger two months prior. Good thing I know the ACO in my town since that dog is never

off leash anymore but the damage is done. I did hire a trainer after that happened initially, I may need that again but for now I need to not feel nervous on our walks and I want him comfortable. Thanks for any help

The difference with greyhound muzzles is that they are basket types and allow the mouth to open FULLY for panting, drinking, etc. I am not sure about the ones you were looking at, but I would check to make sure that it isn't a "regular" muzzle which keeps the mouth fairly closed.

The greyhound basket muzzles have a strip of leather (sheepskin?) where it sits on the nose. They are also quite light and don't seem uncomfortable. I have an Australian muzzle which is made of white plastic, and is as light as a Ping-Pong ball! You can warm it up and mold it into shape. I would personally just stick to a sighthound muzzle, they are designed differently than the ones for GSD and other protection dogs.

Edited by RedHead

The problem with a leather muzzle is that the dog can't (comfortably) pant or breathe. If you need to muzzle for walking/exercising, it's probably better to stick with a basket muzzle. I haven't known any greyhound owners to use anything but basket muzzles, except for the occasional metal UK/Australian versiosn. If fitted properly properly, basekt muzzles aren't uncomfortable for the dog.

Thanks for the input Redhead. The leather one I saw was not for protection dogs and the basket muzzle I have does not have that strip which is why I don't use it. I saw some basket muzzles with padding for Greys online too, that's what I will most likely go with. Thanks again

thanks a-daerr The leather one would have been made to order with 2-3 extra inches circumference so the dog can pant, breath easily. I didn't like the look of the metal ones but they probably are good. Thinking I will stick to and go with a well padded basket type.

Edited by CharlieRhea

FYI, this is my muzzle. As you can see, it doesn't even cover the top of the nose so it is a lot less bulky. There are also UK muzzles which are similar to the basket ones but made of thinner plastic. Your grey will probably rub and paw off ANY muzzle if he isn't used to it, but hopefully walking will eventually distract him. If you do order from Leerburg just make sure the length is suitable for a sighthound. :)

Australian muzzle

muzzle_zps91232458.jpg

Here's a shot of all 3 types. The people in our local playgroup seem to prefer the UK (I think?) muzzles which are the black ones. You could easily glue some padding on the nose if you wanted to.

muzzle3_zps77d4ce5a.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I wouldn't worry about the muzzle, I would work on the issue that is causing the need for the muzzle. There are many threads here for what you are going through. Do a search for "look at that" training and you will see how to help your hound with the leash reactivity and redirected aggression. You will be much happier in the long run if you can work on the cause and not just treat the symptoms.

While in Abilene this past weekend (what a GREYT event), Teddy Palmer loaned me an English walking muzzle (like the black one above) for Baby, who can be a bit snarky. Baby was much more comfortable lying around in that muzzle than our normal kennel muzzle (red one in the picture above). The English muzzle that Teddy provided was not open on the bottom (so it wasn't good for drinking or eating, but would be great if your dog had an injury that you wanted to prevent from licking). It was also very light, and FLEXIBLE/PLIABLE (very soft plastic).

Be aware that most dogs will try to rub their muzzles off. I don't use muzzles all of the time, but do make a point of muzzling my dogs at least once every 2 weeks so that they remain familiar with them when we use them (for nail trimmings, at mixed breed events, or in doggy playdates). That's one decision I don't think I'll ever regret.

You can also take a 3" -4" strip of the insulation that you stick around your door in the winter and stick it to the inside of the top of the muzzle (like the red muzzle in the picture). It last a vary long time; I have even run my muzzles through the short cycle of my dishwasher (NOT with the dishes) to clean them and it doesn't come off.

and from cleptogrey's post. I have two of these that one of my dogs love. The one thing I would change is that they offer the option of plastic straps rather than leather. If I order again I'll request the plastic.

http://www.muzzlesforgreyhounds.com/kenel-kosy.html

Edited by june

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will go with the Kozy kennel muzzle.

Greyt-dog-lover, I agree about the training which is what I started with. I still need a muzzle to be able to initially walk Charlie without

fear of him nipping me in situations. I am hoping with the use of the muzzle and training I will resolve this.

I am hoping to get back to where I don't need the muzzle for walks as we used to do.

My girl Hattie has a tendency to grab the lead when she see's prey so I sometimes muzzle her especially if I'm walking more than one as she's caught my fingers before, better to stay safe while training.

This type http://www.muzzlesforgreyhounds.com/greyhound-muzzle.html are great and my guys are much happier in them and more comfy if they're laying down as more flexible. I've got them in red &blue, they also do a lurcher size if you've a grey with a tiny head like Hattie. Got mine via a rescue that buys from this manufacturer http://www.midlandgreyhound.co.uk/

There very light compared to the UK traveling/box muzzle but even that's a lot lighter than American kennel muzzle. I also have the Aussie muzzles, but I don't like the way these fit as much as were bit too narrow possibly as for small males & Hector somehow managed to get his tooth snagged in his muzzle while playing (no idea how!).

Ugh!! My only comment is that the Twin Terrors, who are fine at home, need to be muzzles when visiting my parents. Apparently being in a new situation causes some anxiety. Anyway, I forgot their muzzles and has to buy "regular" ones at PetCo. It took them about 5 minutes to get out of them and chew them. It was NOT a good visit. That was the weekend they killed 2 muzzles and a bunny (and that's not even counting what they did to the newspapers sitting in the dining room :( ). My point is that if you're looking for muzzles I HIGHLY recommend getting a muzzle that's made especially for Greyhounds.