Hook Worms And Diarrehea

My Cozett has had persistent hookworms. she was treated three times and cleared up. This weekend she started with diarrehea and when I saw blood I took her to the vet. fecal showed hook worms again :( So frustrated. This time she has terrible liquid poops. the other times was just soft. The vet also gave me flagyl for her as well. good apetite. she came from the kennel with the worms.

Should i limit her diet just as i would for diarrehea without worms? or is the liquid poop the bodies way of ridding itself of the worms?

I have had much better luck using strongid t de-wormer. Give it once a week for 6 weeks gut bugs be gone!

Edited to add dosage --it's sold as 50mgs/ml strength. Give 1ml/20lbs body weight once weekly for 6 weeks. It is sold OTC.

Generic link (brand name is wicked expensive)----http://www.allivet.com/p-115-pyrantel-pamoate-suspension-16-oz.aspx?gclid=CPT305zdor8CFQIT7AodtVYAzA

Edited by tbhounds

Bella had this problem almost 2 years ago. We were finally able to get rid of the hookworms by treating with panacur first and then strongid every 2 weeks. I think that's right. I know she got at least that, but she may have also gotten another dose of panacur along the way. We felt like it was just impossible to get rid of them, but this finally did the trick. It's worth asking your vet about for sure. Good luck!

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

to top it off we are going away this Thursday. going away has been very stressful for me. She is going to a very Greyhound savvy person who has 6 dogs. Vet said they should be ok as long as she cleans up immediately after and sprays bleach. The diarrhea is still almost liquid I'm very worried and don't want to go.I am worried about leaving cause that when she's not feeling well and also worried about being a problem for her dogs getting sick..

is it safe to give pepcid while she's on panacur and Flagyl? She has some reflux issues and my vet had told me to give her pepcid but that was before she got the results that it was once again. And also she supposed to get her heartworm today I don't know whether to give it to her tonight. might be too much on her system? She gets Heartgard Plus for now and then we're going to switch over to Sentinel.

Edited to add dosage --it's sold as 50mgs/ml strength. Give 1ml/20lbs body weight once weekly for 6 weeks. It is sold OTC.

Generic link (brand name is wicked expensive)----http://www.allivet.com/p-115-pyrantel-pamoate-suspension-16-oz.aspx?gclid=CPT305zdor8CFQIT7AodtVYAzA

Has it always been 1 ml per 20 lbs? I thought it was 1 ml for 10 lbs. Brady had persistent hooks and this protocol cleared it up but I really whacked him good, I guess.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Eeesh, and it's 4th of July on Friday? I'd have trouble leaving too. If you feel like you should stay home, you probably should, and I hope no one pressures you about it.

Good luck with the hookworm. We just gave three rounds of Panacur, which is stronger than Drontal, and he's much better. We gave the second round after 2 weeks and the third round 10 days after that; the 10 days was based on recommendation from a greyhound trainer. We learned that the very act of worming itself causes hookworms to start popping out eggs, and it induces encysted hookworms living in tissue to hatch, so that's the reason for the shortened time frame for redosing. Our dog was a wreck until we got this figured out, lost weight and muscle, etc. We were on the verge of getting the Strongid as Tracy recommended, but he seems fine now.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sorry you are dealing with this. The more I read about hookworms on here, the more they scare the crap out of me so while I have no helpful advice, I say do what you have to to get rid of the buggers! ;)

A bit of an aside, but has anyone heard of a case where a dog had hookworms on a long term basis, but the only symptom outside of a very rare case of diarrhea was the dog being a hard keeper? How long would it take before other symptoms would be unavoidable?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Has it always been 1 ml per 20 lbs? I thought it was 1 ml for 10 lbs. Brady had persistent hooks and this protocol cleared it up but I really whacked him good, I guess.

Well, the usual dose for adults is 1ml/20 lbs but, you can give 1ml/10lbs too :-). Does that help? Just as an FYI we use the more concentrated dose with puppies all the time :-) Edited by tbhounds

Guest driser

Our boy had hook so bad and so often our vet suspected he had had hooks for so long that the eggs were in intestinal wall muscles. Panacur hadn't worked so we did Drontal Plus once a month for 8 months?? I don't recall exactly, I just know it was often and for a long time and it finally cleared up. But because his gut was such a mess she also recommended a unique protein and grain free. We switched to bison/sweet potato limited ingredient by Nature's Balance and that helped too.

I empathize greatly!