Protein Content Too High?

Guest AbbyH

Guest AbbyH

Hello,

We are feeding our two year old Victor grain free. Dogfoodadvisor.com rates it a 5 star. However, I'm concerned that its 33% protein content may be too much. Fat is 16%.

She does play a lot and runs for a minute or two twice a day but, of course, she sleeps the rest of the day.

We buy this at Southern States farm supply at $40 per 30 pounds which is a bargain for such a highly rated food.

Thanks

Guest AbbyH

Thanks. Discouraging but thanks.

I need to do a little more research. I don't want to fall for hype but I do want to feed my girl a quality food.

Dismissing DFA's assessment I still think Victor grain free appears to be a quality food, judging by the ingredients list. Still, I'm concerned about the 33% protein content.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people feed that (and/or other grain free, higher protein diets) with good results. If your dog is doing fine on it, I wouldn't worry overly much. There are many varying opinions on this, but if you have a food that your dog does well on, is a decent price, and has ingredients that you like, I wouldn't overly worry.

Dogs and cats are obligate carnivores; cats should eat 100% protein and dogs should eat somewhere between 75% and 100% protein depending on the feeding model with which you feel most comfortable.

It's a very difficult pill to swallow - horrifying as a matter of fact. Took me 9 years to get comfortable with it but after doing the research - I became a believer that science backs this up.

Google Dr. Doug Knueven and read his research - he also has a website and a blog. He is one of many (Dr. Karen Becker, Dr. Jodie Gruenstern, Dr. Pitcairn, to name a few) Veterinarians who have gone to "the dark side" and recommend that their clients feed a "species appropriate diet".

If you are familiar with facebook at all, search "raw feeding", Raw Roundup with Dogs Naturally Magazine, Raw Food Diet For Dogs and Cats................there are a plethora of sites/groups from which to learn.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

feed what works for your dog and your pocket book, that's my philosophy. over the past 40+ years of owning dogs i never jumped on the band wagon for rocket fuel (high high protein kibbles) or raw. i figure they(dogs) have managed as scavengers for who knows how long, a little improvement in that type of feeding(kibble) should work and generally it has for MY dogs. dogs have not been feral creatures for quite some time and haven't really hunted for themselves. raw feeding works for some people and their pets, kibble for others, home cooked meals for some.... me...kibble and water and fish oil. that's it- K.I.S.S. i always tell myself. now, if i was living in alaska and had sled dogs working for a living...i might think differently.

You can generally tell if the protein level is too high for your individual dog: poop gets runny, farts get atomic, breath might get bad. You also need to be watching her weight as it can begin to add up quickly if she's not getting enough exercise for the amount of calories she takes in.

If all those things are good, then I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. As long as you can afford $40 for a bag of dog food.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Excess protein is, I believe, simply excreted in the urine. So the only issue is paying for more protein than she needs.

I agree with most of what everyone said--if it's working for her, I wouldn't worry about it! And don't buy all the hype. We overthink dog food these days!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck