Should We Bump Up To Two? Your Experience?

Guest AbbyH

Guest AbbyH

We have had our first greyhound for two months. She is doing very well but has never had to spend any time alone. We have worked a little on alone training but only for short times. She does get anxious but not destructive.

Today we visited the kennel where we got Abby. We were not there to adopt. However, my entire family was attracted to a small female who was very quiet and gentle. While I was petting her through the kennel bars and she had her head pressed against my hand my wife noticed that she had the same birthday as Abby. Sure enough, they are sisters.

We had not planned on two. However, it is within the realm of possibilities. We have put her on hold.

Here is the big question: GENERALLY... is life easier with two rather than one. I know that they all have different personalities etc. But going with the odds, and your experience are there advantages to one? Advantages to two? Is SA GENERALLY better with two?

We need to decide quickly.

Thanks

Edited by AbbyH

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only because and for no real reason, go for it. You might be sorry if you don't. Could you foster with intent?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

If finances allow yes, I'd say two are much better than one. Actually three is my ideal number as if one has to go to the vet/groomer/etc. I can just take the one without leaving someone home alone or taking the other that doesn't need to be seen with.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

They will keep each other company. They may not be closer than any other two dogs, even though they are sisters. I took in two eight year old sisters last year, and they are each closer to my other dogs than to each other. I usually have five dogs at a time, and I have never had two that snuggle together like I see in so many photos. Go for it... We will be waiting for the pictures!

Guest AbbyH

I forgot to mention that they just turned two in May so they have only be apart for a year or so. Not that I expect a big reunion but hopefully there is a little familiarity between them.

More important is knowing if two is typically a problem solver or a problem creator.

Thanks for the replies.

Everyone here is an enabler. As long as you weren't seeking objective opinions you will be fine. :bgeorge

We only have one, have thought about 2, but we are pretty sure that Rocket prefers being an only dog. We just have other greys visit from time to time. That seems to work for him. As long as the two get along, there's no reason not to have two if your finances and home routine allow it.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Generally, once you have a second greyhound, separation anxiety is less. Generally. There isn't a better or worse answer because it all depends on so many factors. If you have the room and time, and you feel your life can hold another dog, then it's just a matter of deciding when to go get her!

You have twice the expenses, true, but you also have twice the joy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

2 is definitely more work than one, but not by double. Walking two is more work than one, but if leash manners are good it's only a bit more work. Filling two food bowls takes twice as long as one. Training two takes twice as long depending on what you are training. But two is definitely my ideal number. It's the perfect compromise between work and benefits.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Two is probably easier, especially when there's SA involved. They're a little more work, and yes, more expense (of course). More than that, two is more entertaining and fun!

We went up to two for the first time to help Jim with SA and it completely finished the job I'd started with Adaptil. As a side-effect, I lost my velcro dog, because once he had a companion, he no longer felt the need to follow me everywhere, but relaxed completely, leaving the worry to our new, self-confident girl. When we lost her, we got Renie to help with Jim's grief at losing Susan and then we got Jack to help Renie over losing Jim.

That is one thing to remember, of course. When you lose one of a pair, the other will grieve and you'll probably find yourself getting another pretty quickly.

The other thing is that we have found that a pair of greyhounds is a little more likely to chase small creatures than one greyhound. This depends an awful lot on the dogs though; some will chase regardless of the presence or absence of another dog, some will never chase no matter what their companion is doing.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I found two easier than one. Three is no more work. Four isn't either. Go for it.

:nod

Your enabler, FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

GENERALLY... is life easier with two rather than one?

Even though I love greyhounds and want everyone to have as many as possible, I think the honest answer here is no. Adding a second dog is a big lifestyle adjustment. It's twice as much work, training, money, and commitment. I know that a lot of people end up adopting a second because they believe it will solve behavioral problems with the first… or the two will "entertain" each other, leaving less work on the owner's shoulders… or the dog is so cute, and you feel bad for them not having a home. IMHO, those are all horrible reason to adopt. On the other hand, if you decide YOU want another dog, and you're fully prepared to take on the extra commitment, then by all means go for it.

Guest KsFrets

We've had no trouble going from one, to two, to three, to 4, to an occasional foster. It takes all of 3 seconds to put a scoop of food in a bowl, so 12 seconds to fill dog dishes does't impact my day much, and I'm strong enough to carry multiple dog dishes. We scoop poo as it happens, so extra dogs may ad and extra minute or two to scoop duty. The vets are used to us dog bombing them for routine yearlies, so that adds a whopping 30 minutes a year. For several weeks it can be a challenge while they sort out how to walk together, but it's fun rather than a chore, and ads no additional time to walk time. From experience, multiple dogs is no harder to care for than one. If you are going to do something once, it's almost negligible to ad another dog or two.

Where the difference is, is cost.

Food. Multiply what you spend now by the # of dogs.

Supplies: More beds, more flea and tic stuff, double vet bills, collars, leashes, etc.

Wear and tear on your yard. This can be a biggie if you are into a nice lawn.

Vehicle, can your family and dogs all fit in your car?

I say go for it, and you will wonder why you even had to think about it. And of course we need an update :)

We were in your shoes years ago. We added one hound.........We are now up to seven. Beware :lol

My experience says it would help with SA to get another hound. Maybe you can foster with intent to find out?

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I find that even though my pups aren't snugglers, they spend time in the same room, so I'm assuming they like to be around each other. I notice they provide their own entertainment with each other at times.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If finances allow yes, I'd say two are much better than one. Actually three is my ideal number as if one has to go to the vet/groomer/etc. I can just take the one without leaving someone home alone or taking the other that doesn't need to be seen with.

Agree...three is good!

We always had multiple dogs long before we had the Greyhounds!

Ruby came to us with severe SA....we had Nixon and our Pointer at that time.

It resolved in about 6 months with no 'training' from us..... she just figured out that she usually had company, and that even if she was all alone in the house, sooner or later someone - hound or human - was coming back soon.

I would not leave her alone in the house for more than an hour or so, but she is most certainly a changed dog.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest sireltonsmom

We love having two. When Sir Elton went to the bridge, I lasted 2 months before committing to another big red boy. Sisters are a special feeling whether or not they snuggle. I vote yes. Good luck.

It is more work and expense, but not double. I prefer having multiples, I think they enjoy having other dog(s) around, as well as their people. Most of the greys I have had would do fine as only dogs, but were clearly happier to have a companion. I can't think of any problems that were caused by having two instead of one.

We adopted Leo because I needed him, after the loss of Murphy. But if we'd had him first, before Henry, I think his anxiety/separation issues would be a lot worse. He really seems to feel much more secure with Henry, there were multiple greys in his foster home, multiple greys at the dog sitters, so he's never been an only dog, but I don't think he would have been happy that way. So yes, I believe a second dog can help with anxiety problems.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest AbbyH

Wow. Lots of great input.

I will address some of the issues that you've brought up:

We do have experience with multiple dogs, just not greys. However, we did not have children then. Our kids are 12 and 14.

SA is a big factor as we want Abby to be as comfortable as possible during those times that we must be away.

The expense is not a big issue as our other three were very expensive due to many serious health issues. In short, we're used to the expense.

We really do prefer having two dogs. Greys are just a little bigger than we are accustomed to and they... well... don't behave like other dogs.

Our biggest concern is whether we end up with two dogs who can keep each other comfortable when we are away or will we have two dogs who are suffering and upset? We realize that we won't know for sure until we try but it is really helpful hearing everyone's experience.

Also, our first dog (a lab mix rescue) was an only dog for two years. She spent the daytime hours in the back yard by herself. I've always regretted doing that to her now that I know better. Abby is almost never alone but I still think that she should have another dog in the house.

Thanks again

ps, when you do decide to adopt your new hound, bring Abby along with you to the kennel - she will be the best one to help you decide which hound should come home with you. Very exciting!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

One way to proceed might be to foster with intent, as someone else said. The idea being that you choose as wisely as you can, and find the best possible fit for your situation, but if it doesn't work out between your new dog and Abby, the kennel will take the dog back and you can try again.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

The expense is not a big issue as our other three were very expensive due to many serious health issues. In short, we're used to the expense.

We really do prefer having two dogs.

These alone are perfectly good reasons for another dog, imo. Sometimes you do end up with greyhounds that don't get along, like with any dog, but I think it's less likely. Does your group permit fostering with the intention to adopt? That way you would make sure you find a second that gets along with Abby.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

You may end up with two dogs that seem indifferent to each other, rather than BFFs, but it is pretty rare for two greyhounds to actively dislike each other. Not unheard of though, so a foster with intent might be a good way to go.