Underweight As They Age?

Guest vcuhockeygirl77

Guest vcuhockeygirl77

My greycie is going to be 13 in august and she has become super skinny. She doesn't act like anything is wrong; however, she's become super bony and skinny. She never used to beg for food and now she's constantly begging for table scraps and as soon as she hears you walk into the kitchen she's up and by your side. I have up'ed her food. I usually give 2 cups, twice per day with lots of treats but recently, I just fill up her bowl as soon as I see it's empty. And I've been giving her a can of wet food just to try and fatten her up. She is just so bony and skinny it breaks my heart and she's always so hungry!! I haven't taken her to the vet yet, but I wanted to know if there's something wrong with her or if you think that greyhounds just get skinny as they age rather than how other dogs usually get heavier. ?? I love my Greycie with all of my heart so I will pay the money to take her to the vet; however I am trying to avoid paying the vet bills if there's a better solution since I am tight on money with a new baby in the house.

Because of the radical weight loss, I would run, not walk, to the vet. My 8 year old grey has begun eating less but her weight stays steady at 57 lbs. and a recent check up with bloods, fecal, urine and x-rays gave her a clean bill of health.

I'm so sorry that you're worried about your girl. We just love them so much, don't we?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yep, because she's losing weight AND hungry, I'd go to the vet NOW. Two of the dogs I've lost to cancer lost weight dramatically and were still hungry. I don't want to scare you, and there are lots of other medical reasons why she might be hungry and losing weight, but do get her checked out. Start with a geriatric blood panel and go from there.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My greycie is going to be 13 in august and she has become super skinny. She doesn't act like anything is wrong; however, she's become super bony and skinny. She never used to beg for food and now she's constantly begging for table scraps and as soon as she hears you walk into the kitchen she's up and by your side. I have up'ed her food. I usually give 2 cups, twice per day with lots of treats but recently, I just fill up her bowl as soon as I see it's empty. And I've been giving her a can of wet food just to try and fatten her up. She is just so bony and skinny it breaks my heart and she's always so hungry!! I haven't taken her to the vet yet, but I wanted to know if there's something wrong with her or if you think that greyhounds just get skinny as they age rather than how other dogs usually get heavier. ?? I love my Greycie with all of my heart so I will pay the money to take her to the vet; however I am trying to avoid paying the vet bills if there's a better solution since I am tight on money with a new baby in the house.

I could have written this post about my Polly, except she'll be 13 on July 4th. She looks so bony to me too, though she seems to be holding steady at 52 pounds every time we bring her back for a check-up. We've had her to the vets 4 times. And we've done the bloodwork, urinalysis, fecal, thyroid panel, lots of different meds, etc. Nothing remarkable, except finding the heart murmur, and knowing she needs a dental, but isn't a good candidate for it. We're at the point where we'll keep giving her all the food she wants, and just keep an eye on her for other changes, or signs she's in pain.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest MnMDogs

Mork lost a lot of weight as he aged. He was always on the chunky side, but when he hit his teens, he began to drop weight like crazy. He was always amazingly hungry and never missed a meal. We added food regularly to try to keep weight on him, and finally leveled out around 70 pounds (he was a big boy who was good at 83 in his younger years). I know a lot was likely muscle loss, but he really looked like a bag of bones at his geriatric weight!

We ran every test...X-rays, blood, U/S, you name it... And nothing was ever found to be wrong. He lived to 14 and a half and we were never able to attribute his drastic weight loss to anything significant.

Vet. :nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is Polly ravenously hungry too, Nancy?

I wouldn't say ravenous, but she has a real good appetite.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Loves4Greyz

I have one girl who is 10.5 and she has cut down on her food quite a bit but she doesn't look skinny. She has some medical problems and just isn't as active l as she used to be. I would. definitely take her to the vet as soon as you can get an appointment

Rainy is 10 now and she's much skinnier looking. She now eats twice the amount she used to and still looks skinny. I think it's muscle tone loss. She'll gladly eat extra, but isn't ravenous. Please go to the vet. I really hope it's something minor, but I'm very worried with those symptoms. :-(

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica