Seniors & Appetite

My 8 year old girl, Wendy, has always been a good eater. Lately, though, she goes through cycles of eating her two meals a day with gusto to occasionally skipping breakfast and/or showing little interest in dinner. Last night, I put her dinner down at 6 pm, and because she had skipped breakfast, left it down until she finally ate it at 8 pm. In the past, I would give her 1/2 hour to eat then remove uneaten food. Today, her breakfast remains uneaten at 11:17 am. She will, however, accept treats or people food readily, the brat, so she does have an appetite (right?).

Wendy just had a check-up and is healthy. Her weight is stable at 57 lbs. The vet is not concerned, but I am paranoid!

Do any of your seniors go through this cyclical eating pattern?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Arrow has just started this lately. He's turned 13 and just doesn't seem to be able to eat as much as he used to.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I guess it's just part of growing older, but it sure is distressing! I remember feeling that way as a young mother when my son wouldn't eat.

I suppose if she maintains a good weight and is otherwise fine I shouldn't obsess as much.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Jeffie is worrying me at the moment for much the same reason, but the vet is also concerned because he was always a tad underweight and of course when he doesn't eat, it drops off him quite quickly. He's eating at the moment, but we had a few days recently when he ate practically nothing. Even stinky pig kidneys didn't tempt him.

He is on antibiotics at the moment thought and I'm assuming they're having an effect. Is Wendy on any meds?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Paul is doing that too. He eats dinner very well, but, sometimes leaves half over at breakfast. I will sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over the left overs. Recently, our kennel asked for some parmesan cheese donations as the newbies don't always eat right away and need a little encourage. Paul is 12 and 10 months.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Remolacha,

I guess it could be the heat; La Duquesa Wendy does not do heat! I'm also thinking that since it is so very hot here she definitely isn't as active. Butt tuck zoomies in the yard are almost non-existent in this weather. Perhaps Wendy is self-regulating her intake.