4Th Of July Survival Plan

So Dino is not a fan of fire works we have dealt with this three time the normally mean I sleep on the floor of the walk in closet with Dino.

This 4th we have a plan

Step #1 Thunder shirt

IMG_20140629_103824.jpg

IMG_20140629_103839.jpg

Dino is a very big boy and very long I don't know how well it fits looks short to me.

Step #2 out fit the basement

IMG_20140629_103747.jpg

normally its the DW work out room as i am fat and lazy now. now it has his soft crate and an old bed and for the homans moved the futon out so we can watch movies

Step #3

For movies

81dgptmSieL_SL1500_.jpg

Step #4

positive reinforcement about the basement Dino is not a fan of the basement its were he gets his winter bathes so today DW took him by the collar and he got to have a few treat and a bully stick, but once he notice me he took the treat upstairs to enjoy it in peace.

Wish us luck

Ryan

Dino and Stella

:goodluck

Luckily my guys are fine with T-Storms ... and we are very rural, so don't get fireworks.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Dino is not that bad with T storms he once to be in his crate but will settle down and sleep but fire works are different.

The first time with fire works I tethered him to me and he pulled me sliding down the hall I am 6ft 200lbs.

We hope the basement will help with the sound

Thanks

Dino and Stella

Make sure the TV is loud if the fireworks are that close. At our last house, a friend from GT would bring her 3 hounds over and spend the night in our basement. With the TV blasting and the earth insulating the basement, most of the fireworks were not heard unless they were at the neighbor immediately behind us. Even then, the loud TV took care of about 99% of them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sounds like a plan! I hope it helps. My super fireworks hater is gone now, but one of my girls is somewhat bothered by them. I think at least part of it was reacting to the other dog's fear, so I am not sure how she will react this year. Melatonin does help take the edge off for her, you might try adding that to the mix.

Good luck! All my thunderphobic and noise phobic dogs are all gone now. The gang I have now could care less.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

well tonight there were fireworks near by and things went Ok.

Dino wanted to investigate nervously but after a few trips up and down the stairs I zipped Dino in and He laid down and was Nervous for awhile then napped they stared at us.

Now after a little coaxing he is sleeping in his bed in our room. so far so good we shale see how tomorrow night goes.

Thank everyone for your input.

Ry

Dino and Stella

Lots of great survival solutions in this thread. Hope Dino is doing okay tonight?

If others' hounds are still having trouble...

Loud air fans turned on the highest speed are a great alternative for people who don't have white noise machines.

Loud jazz music is very helpful since it contains many musical changes/instruments; plus there aren't silent breaks between verbal sentences that usually occur during TV programs.

Melatonin helps our hounds too, especially when given about 1 hour prior to fireworks.

Happy holiday weekend... :)

Guest OhCatastrophe

Thankfully Cleo did a bunch of zoomies outside so hopefully she'll be too tuckered out to care!

First 4th with her so we'll see! She's heard a couple but didn't seem to mind them, just perked her ears up and went back to what she was doing.

Dino did ok at first he was nervous but he settled down and enjoyed his kong and even napped a little. Still popped his head up when things got loud.

He was so relaxed when we went up to bed at mid night he acted like he wanted to stay in the basement. went down to check on him he seemed confused, so I asked him to come up stairs and he did and wanted to make one trip outside, then something spooked him and he was upset then circled.

I got him to head up to the bed room when he stumbled on the stairs making the anxiety a little worse. I got behind him and let him know were his feet were and then he went up ok.

Got to the the bedroom and he laid down but that didn't last keep wanting to leave, so went back to the old stand by, put a blanket in the walk in closet and he went right in and laid down and sleep there all night poking his nose out this morning to see if we were up.

He seemed a little off this morning not begging for breakfast. He ate just fine when I called him.

went for a walk and we are back to normal

it was better then last year so success... sort of

Ry

Dino and Stella