Staph Infection In Greyhound For Two Months Now

A friend of mine has a 6 year-old female greyhound who has a staph infection. It is on her belly and on one of her legs. It is not from a wound or anything. She has been on antibiotics twice, but it comes back. We are suspicious that she may have gotten the infection from swimming in a baby pool in southern Florida. I wondered if anyone has had a staph infection and what kind of treatment was done. I have heard that sometimes you have to treat for a few months. Thank you for any advice or suggestions. Trying to stay cool here in Gulf Shores. But very thankful for AC - the best invention ever.

Has a culture and sensitivity been done?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Cecil has had staph on his belly, legs, and even a patch on his back that caused a big chunk of hair to fall out. He also has an extremely sensitive tummy, so I try everything possible before putting him on oral antibiotics because that will turn into a 3 month battle with diarrhea and pudding poop. That said, we used the Duoxo chlorhexidine products - there's a shampoo, a spray, and wet wipes. It took a week or so of diligent shampooing according to the directions on the bottle, but we got it.

He's had a few spots since and I'll using the spray or wipes to keep it from spreading. I think that's the key - catching the first few spots. I can speculate on how he got it, but staph is everywhere including the skin and it normally doesn't cause a problem. It could be immune system related?

If not for Cecil's GI issues, our vet would have certainly given us some kind of oral antibiotic, but I'm glad he didn't. Maybe the topical route is worth a try. Good luck to your pal and her girl.

My friend struggled with Staph infections with her dog for a long time. He would get pustules on his back and groin area. It took many rounds of antibiotics to eradicate. She also experimented to find the right food, as he was suspected to have IBD. Staph infections can keep popping up if there's another immune-system issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your responses. I apologize for just now getting back on GT. No excuse, buy have been crazy busy with the Ohio Lurcher Project and also moving retired racers from a farm in FL to northern groups. Update on the little girl with staph. She is on more antibiotics and they also changed her food. I believe adopter is doing some allergy testing. So far, she is responding and doing much better. We are keeping our paws crossed here. Adopter is in southern Florida and it is hot and humid. :paw