Adopting A Galgo In Southern Ontario

My Galgo made a fine running partner for a normal runner and did well. On days he didn't get to run he was quite content with the usual romp in the yard and some brain teasers. He's been sick off and on for a few months and has not been able to run and brain games and walks have been good for him.

If you want to run a marathon you can borrow my Ibizans. :rofl Running a 5k with them is just a little warm-up exercise.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Petra can chime in if she disagrees, but I suspect that you can make up for a few days of couch-potatoness by giving your galgo intellectual stimulation instead: kong toys or Nina Ottosson puzzle games, and even playing with other like-minded dogs in your home.

Even Robin can chime in on this. I do live with two galgos and go to Spain every six months or so to volunteer at FBM :lol Yes, intellectual stimulation is important if you have an active dog.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I can send you Lucas, that boy needs his daily run :hehe

Oh, hey I've been meaning to ask you: is your Lucas the darling little boy from GdS that had surgery to fix his bent front legs? I had SUCH a crush on him and wondered where he got adopted to.

Even Robin can chime in on this. I do live with two galgos and go to Spain every six months or so to volunteer at FBM :lol Yes, intellectual stimulation is important if you have an active dog.

Absolutely! Robin, I didn't mean to exclude you. :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Galgos, like greyhounds, are all individuals. We adopted a senior galgo in October. Beatrix is not small, nor is she active. FBM did describe her as "low-key" and even SAGE was OK with us only having a 5' fence. Beatrix has shown ZERO interest in jumping. Well, unless it is onto our bed our couch. She fits in perfect with our senior pack and low-key lifestyle.

10010780_10203520941648258_508393986_o_z

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Oh, hey I've been meaning to ask you: is your Lucas the darling little boy from GdS that had surgery to fix his bent front legs? I had SUCH a crush on him and wondered where he got adopted to.

Absolutely! Robin, I didn't mean to exclude you. :lol

I don't think so, our Lucas never had any surgery (except his neutering). He's from FBM adopted through Greyhounds Rescue Holland.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest DeniseL

Our galga, izzy, runs with my husband a few times a week, usually for about 3 to 5 miles, depending on the weather. She loves it. Just trots along at a brisk pace...prances, really, with her head held high. He gets a lot of oohs and ahhs in the city. When she has had enough she starts attacking his legs and he knows to stop running.

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread after being away in the UK for a while (where we saw dozens of sighthounds of all kinds) to pose a question about galgos and children. I was reading another thread about potential issues with greyhounds and kids (space and food aggression); do galgos have these same issues? I've got a 7 and 9 year old who are very good with animals. They've had cats all their lives, a variety of smaller animals, and we sometimes doggysit for relatives and friends. They spent 2 weeks with two very large rambunctious dogs and did really well. They have a healthy respect/fear of big dogs and are really good at following the rules that we set out (don't approach dogs when they're eating, don't touch them in their beds, give them their space, etc). They're not super noisy kids, but they do run around the house occasionally. Would a galgo generally be okay in this kind of household?

Also wanted to respond to this:

Our galga, izzy, runs with my husband a few times a week, usually for about 3 to 5 miles, depending on the weather. She loves it. Just trots along at a brisk pace...prances, really, with her head held high. He gets a lot of oohs and ahhs in the city. When she has had enough she starts attacking his legs and he knows to stop running.

just to say this is the sweetest and funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for sharing that story. :)

Both of my galgos love kids. Even the traumatized one likes to hang out with my friend's very active kids who range in age from 3 - 7. They cuddle with them at night (they stay with the family when i am out of town) and just like to be around them.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Regarding kids, it depends on the dog (as does everything :) of course). Fergus is terrified of kids; Petra thinks he was chased/tormented by kids while loose on the streets. Whomever you adopt from will be able to help you find a dog apprpriate for your family.

Good luck!

Guest Bean_Scotch

I'm going to give a Thumbs up to The Sighthound Underground. They are a wonderful and professional organization to work with, and in the 10 years I've been involved with adoptions they take the top spot in terms of adopting again. They allowed me to pick my dog from the Rescue's website in the Middle east, arranged his flight and helped transport him to me(I drove from IN to PA to pick him up). I wanted a VERY specific dog. Black Male Feathered Saluki with the temperament to do therapy work. I got exactly that and wouldn't trade Giorgio for the world. Top notch organization. www.sighthoundunderground.com They have all sighthounds, I picked them because I wanted a Saluki, but they regularly have Galgos too.

• 3 weeks later...

After the Track can't get to JFK Airport to pick them up. I'm bringing over two for Sighthound Underground (SHUG). Hopefully I can bring over some for After the Track in the spring.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

I'll be transporting Versace and Tiburon from Scooby. Versace is a 6 - 7 month old brindle boy. You can check them out on the Scooby website.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Just have to chime in here, but if you love a dog on the Scooby list, if SHUG (who I agree is a great organization) can't arrange the transport soon enough, then reach out to us at Scooby North America. All of the Galgo groups in the U.S. are our partners and we work together on transports because they're such a challenge. If one of us doesn't have room for another dog on a scheduled transport, another group might.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow