Bladder "irritation"

After Zuri's dental he started drinking more water and urinating more frequently, as well as having some accidents and barking to go out more frequently, all signs I assumed of a UTI. However, my vet ran a urinalysis today and didn't see signs of infection. She said you sometimes see dogs get an irritated bladder from anesthesia/stress/etc and prescribed a Vetriscience product called UT Strength. I like Vetriscience's products a lot and am not opposed to trying something like this rather than putting him on ABs given that he just finished a 2 wk course of Clindamycin (he had extractions during his dental), but I also know that u/a's can produce false negatives so I'm just curious if anyone else has had their dog diagnosed with bladder "irritation" or has had any experience using this supplement?

The vet said we would see improvement very quickly with the supplement if that's what's going on so we'll see. If not, we have another appt in a little less than 2 weeks to investigate further if he's not doing better.

The only thing btw that did show up on the u/a was a tiny bit of glucose in his urine, but his urine was very very concentrated, which the vet said could cause a "false" glucose reading. He doesn't have other signs of diabetes and his pre-anesthesia blood work was perfect so we both feel that's not a concern although we will obv recheck at the next appt.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If the UT Strength does not work, you might want to consider doing a culture on the urine and some bloodwork.

Yes, that's what we're going to do at our recheck if he's not doing better.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

When did he have the dental? If he *just* finished the clindamycin, that's more likely the culprit right there -- a little tummy irritation often makes a dog drink more.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When did he have the dental? If he *just* finished the clindamycin, that's more likely the culprit right there -- a little tummy irritation often makes a dog drink more.

Dental was 2 weeks ago on Tuesday, he just finished his ABs last night because I missed a dose a couple of times so that's certainly possible although there are no other signs of stomach issues and he's always had a stomach of steel.

Although, now that I think about it, he has been hungier at times and that could be causing him to drink more. We had to feed pre-made raw patties for most meals for about a week because I wasn't thinking and didn't order ground food in advance. I fed the same weight, but those patties have vegetables in them so I think they were less filling than what he's used to and he was more barky at mealtimes than normal, a sure sign that he's hungry. Although he's at a good weight and has been back on his usual raw for a bit now so I'd say we're "caught up", but both are definitely possibilities I hadn't considered so thanks.