Laryngeal Paralysis Q's

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Chance hurks/gags a lot. Sometimes for seemingly no reason, but if I'm cooking/he smells food, or if he gets excited it happens especially. Like if I am walking toward him with a treat he starts gagging.

I was looking at the symptoms, and other than hurking and gagging I don't think he has any other symptoms. He just turned 3, but he hurks a lot more than my 8 year old greys ever did. He does seem to pant quite a bit too, but I wouldn't call it laboured panting. Just regular panting. When he sleeps, his mouth opens also.

However he is very insane... Seems like from what I have read dogs with this condition seem relatively intolerant.

Chance would eat a person alive (with love, of course) if he was given the opportunity.

Guest carriej

Good.

I am an overly paranoid greyhound Mom and I am not scared to admit it!

I never tried pepcid. He just had a food change though, so maybe it will improve with a higher quality food.

Assuming he doesn't eat grass, and his house collar is not too, too tight, his gagging is worth a mention to your vet next time to ensure the vet doesn't see/feel anything irritating his airway. If he eats other non-food items, might be worth an appt. sooner. It doesn't sound too much like LP from your description. Good that you're aware of LP symptoms though since it's a progressive disease. If you're concerned, using a harness for walks is an option. (When using a collar, it's good to avoid leash jerking or extreme pulling.)

Two of our 12 year old hounds have LP. The youngest arrived at 6 years old with LP after a long racing career and breeding.

Our initial hints of her LP symptoms:

Her voice and bark were much more hoarse than our other hounds.

Her breathing was much more labored than other hounds, especially during warm weather (either inside while at rest or if excited, or outside during exercise).

She became exhausted quickly if running/playing with other hounds, and her heavy panting (sounded like a freight train) lasted long after other hounds' panting stopped. (Her panting was extremely loud and labored from not being able to breathe in enough oxygen.)

Humm, I suppose all our hounds sometimes sleep with their mouth open a little, especially during summer. One (non-LP) hound regularly barks in her sleep.

Our LP hounds' temperament is completley normal and as loving as ever. When you mentioned reading about "intolerant" dogs, the only thing that came to mind is that we need to manage their air temperature carefully, so they don't overheat, but that's fairly similar to young, healthy Greyhounds too. Most Greys are temperature sensitive. LP hounds more so, and LP hounds exercise should be limited (e.g., no running).

Edited by 3greytjoys

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carriej

Hi there,

He does not eat grass, and while he has sampled a few non-food items in the past... Knock on wood he hasn't touched anything in months.

He goes to the vet quite often (we are currently treating an allergy) and she thinks that it could be from the rush of saliva to his mouth when he sees something he likes as he is very food obsessed. She can't seem to find anything wrong. She thought it could maybe even be from the allergy itself (we are blaming chicken, at the current moment.. But we are still in the testing phases to see if it comes back after removing chicken)

He breathes very forcefully, but not laboured. When he's sleeping, if he's beside me I can feel the hot air coming out of him like an air gun. It's like POOF. POOF. POOF. It's very strong. I never noticed it with my other hounds, but she (the vet) said he has very strong lungs and is a young, fit, dog :dunno

He pants often, but it's not that floppy tongue exhausted pant. It's a regular pant, just seems to happen a lot. If he relaxes, it stops. However, he was out playing with some medium sized dogs a few days ago and they were panting more than him, so who knows.

I think I was just being a bit paranoid...