New Grey Adopter -- Problems With Crating / Poo

Guest ismaris

Guest ismaris

Glad to hear a good update.

If the problem starts back up again, would you be open to confining him, but not in a crate? For example, babygating him in the kitchen. That way, it will feel less restricting for him, but it will still be easier to clean up if he has an accident? For destructive dogs or chewers, a muzzle is another good alternative.

I think we are going to start confining him, yeah. We'll either do it in the kitchen, or in the front entryway, which has tile. I think that, at the very least, this will allow him to eliminate without laying in it / feeling the need to eat it. I'll update the thread with how that goes.

I think we are going to start confining him, yeah. We'll either do it in the kitchen, or in the front entryway, which has tile. I think that, at the very least, this will allow him to eliminate without laying in it / feeling the need to eat it. I'll update the thread with how that goes.

I think that's a good idea. You can still keep the crate with the door open. I didn't read through all the responses, but this is another tool that may help you.

stool-guard.jpg

Muzzle with a stool guard. At this point, it's hard to say if he's eating the poop because he's trying to clean up, or if he's truly coprophagic. Some dogs are just lifetime poo-eaters. There's no rhyme or reason behind it.

As for exercise, you don't need to run him to tire him out. Our first two were 20 months old when they came home. I used to walk them every morning around 4-6km in an hour. That was moving relatively quickly, allowing for sniffing, pooping and peeing, with lots and lots of hills because of where we lived. My commute to work is 45 minutes to an hour. Get up, get dressed and walk your dog to tire him out.

As for crating, most of us do know and understand the benefits of crate training. But if it doesn't work for your dog, all the benefits in the world won't help.

Guest ismaris

As for exercise, you don't need to run him to tire him out. Our first two were 20 months old when they came home. I used to walk them every morning around 4-6km in an hour. That was moving relatively quickly, allowing for sniffing, pooping and peeing, with lots and lots of hills because of where we lived. My commute to work is 45 minutes to an hour. Get up, get dressed and walk your dog to tire him out.

As for crating, most of us do know and understand the benefits of crate training. But if it doesn't work for your dog, all the benefits in the world won't help.

We are awake at 5am every morning, so time is not really an issue there. I will start exercising him more after getting home tonight.

Guest ismaris

How frustrating: after doing research, it seems that prescribing fenbendazole (panacur) for the common tapeworm is not a good call. They need praziquantel, not fenbendazole. It boggles my mind that my vet, who came highly recommended, would actually prescribe me the wrong drug for this. She also didn't see the proglottid in his stool, as she was looking under a microscope for eggs (Which, I've found, is not a good way to look for a proglottid), even after I told her that they were tapeworms. Once I told her to check again, and this time for proglottids, she found them. I think she didn't really take her time to assess the situation.

I've heard of a vet or two doing that, ismaris. Enough to drive a person nuts. Glad you've got the right med now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oy. Wish I'd seen they'd given you fenbendazole for the tapes...that won't kill tapes <_< You need Droncit (praziquantel) for tapes.

Hope he'll be all good now once you've treated him!

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--