Ear Cleaning

Just out of interest, do other peoples hounds get particularly dirty ears. This is hound number three who has quite a lot of wax. Doesn't seem to cause any problems and they all absolutely love them being cleaned. This hasn't been the case with any other types of dogs I've had.

I've had some greys that I almost never had to clean their ears. I have two right now who need their ears cleaned a lot.

My guess is it depends on the dog.

Edited by june

Out of 6 hounds, 2 have had continually dirty ears with, as you say, seemingly no problems. The other hounds have had varying degrees of ok ears. But none of them has liked ear cleaning. How are you doing it so they enjoy it? Right now, I have 1 yucky-eared and 1 clean-as-a-whistle-eared hound.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest DogNewbie

Wiley has had about 4 ear infections since we got him in July 2013. Today he went to the vet to get them flushed. Hopefully the flushing and new drops will put an end to the infections! Does anyone else's greys get chronic ear infections? I thought maybe it was a greyhound thing but maybe it is just a Wiley thing. Thanks!

Guest CleverJason

Mine LOVES having the inside of his ears rubbed, so I just wet my thumbs with warm water and give him a thorough ear rub every night. It's quick, easy and keeps his ears squeaky clean.

2 out of 3 need their ears cleaned regularly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I clean Doc's ears once a week with a baby wipe. They are actually usually very clean but I keep the routine up as he clearly enjoys the process, leaning against me and groaning!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Interesting! My mum's previous hound Cait would rub her ears on me until I brought out the baby wipes and she'd do the same as Doc. I'd do this very carefully using a finger and being careful not to go to far. I use ear buds as well around all the little crevices but very very carefully. We've recently got two more hounds in the family and they love this too - our other (non-gh) dogs would never let me do this!

Dino get ears cleaned with a anti fungal cleaner from the vet I do it once a month or so.

normally one of the ears is dirty not wax but dirty the anti fungal cleaner make it so one a month is enough if i use opti clear I need to do it once a week or so.

Ry-

Dino and Stella