New Mom To A Grey With Corns

Guest georgethegreyt

Guest georgethegreyt

Hello Everyone,

I adopted George almost 3 months ago. I noticed that he had a fairly large corn on one of his pads on his back right paw. At the time, he also needed a teeth cleaning so while he was under anesthesia the vet was able to fully "scoop" out the corn. He was also given a pain medication shot directly into the site of the corn. There was no pain or limping following that until of course, as those stubborn corns do, it grew back. I did not want to put George under again just for a corn so the wonderful ladies at the greyhound rescue here in Houston said she could hull it out. They explained that of course hulling would not be as efficient as what the doctor was able to do but that it should provide relief. His limping has actually gotten much worse since the hulling procedure (last Wednesday). He did not bleed and the lady doing it did not go very deep so I cant imagine that it is infected...but I just want to know if this is a part of the healing process? Does the pain/limping have to get worse before it gets better? He also did not eat breakfast this morning (I even made his favorite...scrambled eggs!).

Very worried! Thank you for all your help

-Price

Olivia gets corns as well. I've noticed similar things. That after the corn is removed or even falls out on its own it becomes more sensitive for a few days. I got her a TheraPaw boot for her to wear on walks and it really helps her to avoid limping. I take to off in the house since she mostly lays around like a greyhound.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest georgethegreyt

AZGreyGirl,

I had George fitted for therapaw boots and when I put them on his back paws he refuses to move! He just plops down and gives me the most pitiful look!

I bought this. http://www.maapgh.com/greyhound-corn-cream.html

It seems to help my boy through the "pain" because it has a bit of anti inflammatory in it. It also softens up the pad more, so it doesn't hurt as much when they are walking. I have yet to be able to successfully remove the corn, however it does seem to be helping him manage and walk.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

AZGreyGirl,

I had George fitted for therapaw boots and when I put them on his back paws he refuses to move! He just plops down and gives me the most pitiful look!

Nadia was plagued by a corn. Hers did seem to bother her most right after it fell out on its own (something it did regularly). It actually bothered her least when it was half way out. Nadia loathed her Therapaw, too.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)