Finding A Dog Food Without Recalls, Should Give Up On Diamond?

Guest bongoboy

Guest bongoboy

Hi All

My dogs are on diamond naturals grain free and seem to be doing very well. But when I researched Diamond, their history of recalls worries me. Then when I try to find an alternative, it seems like Diamond makes many of the dog foods or it is another company that has had recalls as well. Can anyone recommend a good food that is safer?

PS my dogs came on this food from foster homes, so that is why I kept them on it and have been researching

Edited by bongoboy

Honestly, I've about given up. If you look enough, almost every food it seems have gotten caught up in one or more recalls. If your dogs are healthy I would stick with what you're feeding them. Or there's raw feeding or home cooking, although it's not like the human food supply is all that immune to contamination issues either lately so I suppose that's risky too.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The presence of past recalls doesn't mean a company is bad. In fact, it may mean that they have a good quality control system in place. I also believe that companies do learn from past mistakes, as having a repeat occurrence of a bad recall could mean going out of business. The lack of a recall history also isn't confirmation that the company is good. It could be a small or new company that just hasn't had any issues yet, or doesn't have an internal quality control program to catch problems.

Personally, if your dog is doing well on his current food, why change? Lots of us feed dogfood made by Diamond with no problems. I've been using the Kirkland Chicken & Rice sold through Costco (and made by Diamond) for the last 5 years and all my dogs, as well as greyhound fosters, have done well on it. Obviously we all have to do what we're comfortable with. But as a vet, I've seen too many dogs, who were doing just fine on their previous food, develop GI problems when their food was switched just because their owner read online that what they were feeding wasn't good.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

The only issue during recalls is supply. I know when there was a TOTW recall from a specific plant some time ago, the supply from my closest plant was split up to cover the affected markets, which then led to it being difficult for me to get my hands on a bag.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Have been feeding Diamond Naturals for over a year with no problems. Use to feed Kirkland, also a Diamond food, for several years till we gave up our Costco membership.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

People's opinions about dog food, and what constitutes a good one, is extremely varied. Threads about what is best to feed can get heated. With that said, I fed various kibbles made by Diamond for several years, but after that last salmonella recall (two years ago I think) I switched to Earthborn Holistic. It's manufactured by Midwestern Pet Food, Inc. in Evansville, Indiana. Their website says they've never had a recall and I've not found any evidence of any recalls searching online.

I've been pleased with their food and my dogs like it and eat it enthusiastically without any digestive or skin issues. They're currently eating Great Plains Feast which is grain free and contains no chicken since one of mine can't tolerate chicken. After doing some online research for an alternative to TOTW, I had my local feed store special order it for me during the Diamond recall. The owners of the store now feed it exclusively to their own dogs and Earthborn Holistic is one of their best sellers. Price here in NC is comparable to TOTW. Here's their website: http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown