Crate Question

Guest Addictivestyle

Guest Addictivestyle

Been lurking here for awhile and am in the process of adopting. Currently working on setting up my apartment (a studio) and there are only a few places where I can put the crate I purchased. It's the XXL size from Rural King 48" x 30" x 33". The place I'd like to put it doesn't allow for front entry when going in long ways, only side entry. Would this be an issue for a greyhound?

Been lurking here for awhile and am in the process of adopting. Currently working on setting up my apartment (a studio) and there are only a few places where I can put the crate I purchased. It's the XXL size from Rural King 48" x 30" x 33". The place I'd like to put it doesn't allow for front entry when going in long ways, only side entry. Would this be an issue for a greyhound?

Probably not. Don't worry about it. Have some stinky cheese handy to lure your new dog in.

Congratulations! If you've been lurking, then you know the rules. We expect a ton of pics when your new baby moves in!

Guest Addictivestyle

Will certainly do, the process has been going for a little over a month now, application, interview, home visit, and now just waiting for the right dog to become available for a weekend slumber party and then adoption. Sadly I had to turn down a dog, he just had too many issues for me as a first dog, almost 8 years old, small dog aggressive, preferred to be in his foster's yard and I didn't think he'd be very happy in my apartment so now I'm just waiting for the right one to become available.

As of right now I have a crate and that's it for supplies.

The agency provides:

Collar

Leash

Muzzle

On my list I have:

an old comforter for the crate

big lounge pillow for floor

raised food and water dish

nice looking collar and id tag

Of course food, will wait on what the foster recommends.

Anything I'm missing?

Extra comforter for the crate for when he barfs on the first one! (When I'm doing blankies in a crate, I like a bath mat on the bottom to give them more secure footing.)

A stuffy or two.

A kong and peanut butter.

Some first aid & medical stuff. (Peroxide, betadine, non stick pads, styptic powder, vet wrap, tape, scissors, triple antibiotic, Pepcid, Gas-X, ice pack.)

A bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer!

Guest DogNewbie

Congrats on your soon to be new hound! Make sure to post some pictures. I don't know about your group, but the collar and leash they gave us was a combination piece. So when we got Wiley a new pretty collar we needed a new leash too. Also, you might consider a tag collar for the dog to wear 24/7 and then the pretty martingale collar for walks only. Good luck with your new pooch!

Your first dog EVER and they tried to foist a dog who has issues on you? Hmmmmm. Good for you for passing on that one!

The side door matter is no problem at all. A door is a door.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What are the issues? 8 years old? Small dog aggressive? Likes to be in a yard? I really dont see any issues. If you said the hound cant be crated, is afraid of children (and you had kids), ect. I would understand. Of course you should get what you want, but realize that any hound you get will have "issues". There is no such thing as a perfect hound. Just be sure to be realistic, thats all.

Extra comforter for the crate for when he barfs on the first one! (When I'm doing blankies in a crate, I like a bath mat on the bottom to give them more secure footing.)

A stuffy or two.

A kong and peanut butter.

Some first aid & medical stuff. (Peroxide, betadine, non stick pads, styptic powder, vet wrap, tape, scissors, triple antibiotic, Pepcid, Gas-X, ice pack.)

A bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer.

For another viewpoint: I've had Annie for 3 years (next month) and I've never once had to use any of the first aid or medical stuff listed above. I do have vet wrap; never been used. I do have a bottle of Vetericyn, which is an animal wound and skin care spray, but I've never used it and didn't buy it until last year when we got the backyard fenced and Annie was able to run (which she doesn't do anyway ::sigh:: Annie has never vomited or pee'd or poo'd in the house. (Yes, she is almost a perfect Greyhound, and dog in general, and all my Greyhound and other-breed friends are envious.)

I'm suggesting you not invest a lot of money right away in things you may never use.

Also, I agree that you made a good decision in not taking the first dog you were offered if you didn't "feel" it. Every dog does have issues but there are some easier to handle than others.

Good luck!

Edited by Feisty49

well with Queen, she only went in the crate when we left the house, she REFUSED to sleep anywhere but with me :beatheart Now with CONRAD, he is not a climber, jumper and I have a raised bed for him which he can use but he is VERY happy with his crate even though 2 of the cats roam around all night. You may also find a serious foot warmer, but IF you can keep your new greyhound liking the crate so much the better :gh_run2

Guest OhCatastrophe

I have mine facing a direction where she can only enter from the side, she does fine, no problems at all :)

She only goes in there when I'm not home.. and for the first week or so she slept in there until she got comfortable enough to sleep in bed with me!

You are going to LOVE greys!! good luck!!

Guest Houston1219

The dollar store is your friend! Lots of first aide stuff, and in small convenient sizes. We do not have the perfect accident-free dog we have only heard legends about... Lol microfiber rags that they sell near the car wash sponges, etc are a God send. They are soft, super absorbent and wash well. We also can't live without "LA's Totally Awesome" cleaner. Did you ever watch my big fat Greek wedding? Her dad with his Windex obsession is much like BF's obsession with awesome!

Guest fueldeacon

Our dogs love their kennels, We have one where the opening is the long way which makes it a little more difficult to close the door if she is hyper but usually it isn't a problem.