Painful Reaction To Shots?

Guest shanesmom

Guest shanesmom

Ace had his shots and yearly exam early this morning. He never reacted like this nor has any other dog I have had. Could the vet have struck a nerve when she gave him the shot in the neck? He stands next to me panting heavily and when he tried to shake his head it was slow and barely a shake. He's limping when he walks and moving real slow. We live upstairs and when I took him up and down for a potty he went super slow when usually he rushes up and down. He never made a peep when she gave him the shots and examined him.

Guest Scouts_mom

I would call your vet (hopefully they are still open). I've had reactions to flu shots where it was extremely painful to move my arm. Ice and time healed it. You might try iceing the site of the shot--10 minutes every 5 hours or so.

I would call your vet (hopefully they are still open). I've had reactions to flu shots where it was extremely painful to move my arm. Ice and time healed it. You might try iceing the site of the shot--10 minutes every 5 hours or so.

Yes...call your vet!!

I've never had a reaction like that in multiple dogs in 30+++ years

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest shanesmom

Today is Saturday and the vet closed early. He's not panting as much now and does seem a bit better but he flinches if I touch his neck or shoulders ever so lightly and he won't look up all the way. I think his neck got hurt when she gave him the shot. It must be very painful. He pants when he's in pain (dislocated toe before so I know). Just hoping he continues to get better. Hate seeing him hurting. And he is very clingy when he hurts so I'm going to try to lay on the floor (he won't get on furniture since dislocating his toe) and see if he will join me and rest a bit.

Ice the area with frozen peas and give him Benadryl. The Benadryl dose is 1mg/lb so a 75 lb greyhound would get three 25mg tablets every 8 hours. I would contiune the Benadryl throughout the weekend. This is definetly not normal and your vet needs to be made aware of the reaction to the injection (vaccine?). If he continues to improve call your vet Monday--obviously if he continues to decline I would seek out an evet.

Guest alannamac

Please be careful and watchful even if the neck soreness goes away. Notice if he seems slower than usual, less excited about things, perhaps less hungry...and bring it to your vet's attention if this happens asap.....Just went through a terrible acute autoimmune attack with my grey and one of the possible triggers was his recent vaccinations (as well as stress at being petsat while I was away). Not to alarm you but just to be watchful. Hope your baby is feeling better quickly.

Guest shanesmom

Thanks everyone. I am watching him closely. Will take him to an emergency vet if he doesn't keep improving. It does seem he has had more pain than he should have but he seems better than when I posted earlier. I can tell he's still hurting and moving cautiously but he is not panting like he does when he's hurting real bad.

Guest DeniseL

My galga had a bad reaction to her rabies and lepto given together. I will never do the lepto again and both at the same time was just too much for her little body.

She was so sore, didn't really move for 1 1/2 days. I took her to emergency cause it was the weekend, but they sent me home and said it was extreme, but still normal. My vet said the same. I just had never experienced it before. No dog of mine had ever skipped a beat with shots, but I guess many react in the way you are describing and like izzy did.

Ice the area with frozen peas and give him Benadryl. The Benadryl dose is 1mg/lb so a 75 lb greyhound would get three 25mg tablets every 8 hours. I would contiune the Benadryl throughout the weekend. This is definetly not normal and your vet needs to be made aware of the reaction to the injection (vaccine?). If he continues to improve call your vet Monday--obviously if he continues to decline I would seek out an evet.

felix had a reaction very similar to what you describe. i called my vet, he prescribed benadryl as mentioned above but i believe it was only 2 benadryl tabs every 8 hrs. he was fine the next day. there have been no other reactions to future inoculations.

Guest shanesmom

I did give him Benadryl and he slept soundly and longer than usual. He is fine today. I too never had a dog show pain after shots not even him. He had shots before and never had pain. This was unusual so it scared me but all is better today.

Dawson does this every year. He gets a prednisone 2 hours before his shot. Then, he gets 4-25mg Benedryl right after we get home. If he shows signs of pain, I give him 1-325 mg aspirin. All of this was under the advisement of my vet. He swells up like a donut! It didnt happen with the prednisone and Benedryl. It was scary the first time it happened!

Guest shanesmom

Ace truly was just being a drama queen. And he had me so worried. The very next day he was running and playing like crazy. Forgot all about being sore.

Ace truly was just being a drama queen. And he had me so worried. The very next day he was running and playing like crazy. Forgot all about being sore.

Glad he's better but, please make your vet aware of this happening. Your vet may want to either pretreat or forego the same vaccine in the future. Definitely a caution should be placed in his chart. He wasn't being a "baby"--he legitimately hurt and it should be taken seriously by your veterinarian. Hugs to your boy :-)

What tbhounds said. One of mine started reacting with some swelling and pain to most injections (vaccines and other), so we began premedicating. Problem solved.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest shanesmom

Ok thank you. I will let the vet know. It really is difficult to see them hurting when they can't tell you what's wrong and how to help and of course I want to prevent any pain for him next time.