The Waiting Is The Hardest Part!

My sweet Max who is a few months shy of turning 12 went in for a dental 2 weeks ago, an hour after dropping him off, I got a call that his blood work was off and that his liver enzymes were elevated :(, he had been vomiting that morning which I spoke to Doc about and seemed not himself. So, his bloodwork a few months back was normal, of course we did not proceed with Dental, and we scheduled an ultrasound the next day. The ultrasound showed that his liver was ok, Gallbladder ok, but Spleen looks "Mottled". Vets are husband and wife team that have been treating Max since I got him @ 2 years old and I trust them. I had him on Metacam for those last 2 weeks so she suggested we take him off(they were for mild arthritis in back end). and that we do another Chem panel in 2 weeks which was today...so now we are awaiting those results as Doc wanted to send them out instead of doing in-house. We talked about doing a Laprascopic biopsy 2 weeks ago but it cannot be done in my Vets office, it has to be done elsewhere which frightens me and removing a Spleen on a Greyhound his size (80 lbs) @ his age frightens me too. Trying to keep this in today and not project, he is happy today and was roaching 2 days ago, still walking 2 times a day most days and eating well, he is slowing down, he is a Senior but not wanting to think he could be sick...Will have results on Monday, prayers and good thoughts are welcome.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Hoping the results are good and that he continues happy for a long long time :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It is hard waiting for the results to come back. My thoughts are with you for good results.

Our Fiona had her spleen removed last June when she was approaching her 12th birthday. The recovery was quicker than I expected and she was relatively comfortable during that time. Hope this is helpful should it be recommended that Max have his spleen removed.

Hugs to you and Max.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending you all good thoughts and best wishes! One of Kenzie's littermates had his spleen removed at 9+ because of a large tumor, and he is still doing great 2 years on!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

:hope:candle Good thoughts speeding your way!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:hope for Max

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I know I'm asking a lot but, try not too worry. My guess is there isn't a 12 yr old gh around that doesn't have a mottled spleen. I would treat the nausea first (perhaps trying cerenia) and await the bloodwork results. Don't get ahead of yourself. (I know-easier said than done). Keep us posted.

Thanks for all the well wishes and sharing your stories of successful Spelenectomy's I am hanging onto what tbhounds said about Senior Greys having mottled Spleens, results tomorrow, will update when I hear from Doc :)

Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Great update, Max's Bloodwork is all back within normal range and we have scheduled his Dental for next Tues, July 1st!!!!! We are so relieved!!! So it must have been his vomiting that morning that set his enzymes off and mottled Spleen may be just his age and not the big "C" after all.Could not figure out how to edit original post. Thanks again for all your prayers and good thoughts, it really helped. I know I will be worried next week the day of his Dental but for today we are so very happy :yay:yay

Edited by 3greys2cats

Wonderful update. What a relief for you. Good thoughts going to you and Max for an easy and quick dental. He is such a handsome guy. :beatheart

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Wonderful update. What a relief for you. Good thoughts going to you and Max for an easy and quick dental. He is such a handsome guy. :beatheart

Thanks again, when looking @ your post in May on Fiona, I saw a striking resemblance and thought she was so beautiful, the female twin of Max, you must miss her terribly :( He is my first Grey and dog for that matter, the one who started my love for the Breed. For his age he is healthy and has all his teeth and they are relatively white too, Vet comments on that every time we see him, we are not expecting any extractions, just cleaning.

Does the vet have Amicar on hand just in case he has a bleeding problem?

We have had the discussion of Amicar, and no extractions are planned, the last 3 dentals have gone well, he still has all his teeth and I brush regularly so hoping he does fine.

Thanks again, when looking @ your post in May on Fiona, I saw a striking resemblance and thought she was so beautiful, the female twin of Max, you must miss her terribly :( He is my first Grey and dog for that matter, the one who started my love for the Breed. For his age he is healthy and has all his teeth and they are relatively white too, Vet comments on that every time we see him, we are not expecting any extractions, just cleaning.

Roberta, thanks for your nice thoughts of Fiona. I do miss her every day. She was quite a special girl. When I saw the photo of Max, I thought the same thing you did. He seemed to be the male version of Fiona. He seems like a real sweetheart and very healthy. I wish you many more years with your handsome boy. (I have a weakness for fawns!)

Edited by Fiona3

Thanks, Max is special and a sweet gentleman, we are hoping for many more years too!