Potty Needs Changed With Food

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

Angie has IBD and we *finally* found a non-prescription food that works for her. In fact her poop is better now than it was on the Rx food.

Normally she would have to go out about and hour after eating for a quick potty break. Now she will have to poop an hour after that. I'll keep her out 15-20 minutes for the first break but won't poop. Not sure what to do. This is totally new behavior.

Angie has IBD and we *finally* found a non-prescription food that works for her. In fact her poop is better now than it was on the Rx food.

Normally she would have to go out about and hour after eating for a quick potty break. Now she will have to poop an hour after that. I'll keep her out 15-20 minutes for the first break but won't poop. Not sure what to do. This is totally new behavior.

Inquiring minds want to know: What food are you feeding her now?

Also, are you asking a question in the second paragraph? I'm confused by it.

Guest Celestrina

Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Bison. I'm trying to work on her doing everything in one outing, but I'm not sure how to do this. We've had her for almost four years and her potty break schedule never changed until we switched her food.

Thanks for the info about the food.

I'm no vet, but it sounds sensible that her body may process the new food differently (slower perhaps?) and therefore she doesn't have to poo on the same schedule she did formerly. I don't know how to train a dog, or if it's even possible, to go poo on demand. I mean, it it's not there ready to come out, what *can* be done?

Is it a problem that there is an hour between her peeing & pooing?

It could take a while for her system to normalize on this new food. As questioned above, is there a problem with her having this extra time? FWIW my dogs all go out right after they eat and usually do both. It took our recent foster about 3 months to get the new schedule down, but eventually he was doing the same schedule.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mine poop when they need to :dunno

Some poop before they eat, some after. Some go shortly after they eat, some don't need to poop for an hour or two after they eat.

My guess is that if this new food is working for her as you say, this is a more "normal" time frame for her digestion and may just be something you need to get used to. It's a good thing when food takes longer to move through the dog...means her body is absorbing nutrients as it should. I bet her poop is much better now too because her intestines are doing their job of absorbing liquids ;)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--