Limping On Front Leg

Guest Eeh6df

Guest Eeh6df

Hi all,

I am new to greyhounds (We've had our sweet boy for just about 5 weeks!) and so far everything is going really well. We took him to the dog park the past two nights and let him run quite a bit, especially last night, as well as walk on rocks near the water and jump in and out of the water with his new dog friends. This wasn't something new, we've taken him probably at least once a week since we adopted him.

He was acting pretty normal all day today but I noticed when I took him on his walk tonight that he was limping on his front leg - not putting the full weight on, especially on the concrete outside. It isn't noticeable when he's just walking around inside, but when I took him out it was very noticeable. Since this is my first dog and first greyhound, I'm not sure what to do. He's been jumping up and down from the couch all day but he also seems much less active today, probably because of the leg.

Any ideas or seen this happen before? Is this something I should take him to the vet for right away?

Thanks for any advice! Everything he does is new to me and I want to make sure I'm providing the best care possible.

Guest Stardude82

I wouldn't freak out. My girl seems to randomly sprain herself and gets better in a few days. Check for redness, it might be a splinter or even a corn. If nothing is obviously wrong, don't let him run for a couple weeks, keep walks short until he stops limping and he'll probably be fine. If it gets worse, lasts longer than a week or he becomes lame, then take him in.

If you are really motivated, you might apply a hot pack or cold pack. My dogs will have nothing held to their feet.

You might also consider buffered asprin (not Tylenol or just coated). One 325mg adult pill every 12 hours is a good safe dosage, I think for your average 65 lb hound. Keep it less than 7 mg/lb and only for 2-3 days with food, watch for blood in stool. You might want to ask around for some Tramadol or Rimadyl as both are probably safer.

Edited by Stardude82

It could be many different things, but if it's a hard surface that's bothering him, it could be a corn. Have you checked his paws carefully to see if he cut himself or has something lodged in it? Could he have hurt himself running...perhaps a soft tissue injury?

Limping is everyone's nemesis, but there can be many reasons. Of course if it persists, you'll want your vet to check it out.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Stardude82

I'd add that Asprin is controversial, but it is something I give semi-regularly to my girl who has a stomach of Iron but is something of a klutz.

Guest Eeh6df

Thank you all! I don't see any corns or blisters but I could just be missing something. He has an appointment at the vet next week for a teeth issue so I think we'll watch him closely until then, no running, and see if we see an improvement.

I've had Ryder over extert/extend himself at the dog park and each and every time resulting in a limp shortly thereafter. I've taken him to a chiropractor to get resolved, but still every now and again when he gets a little crazy he pulls something and in we go to get him all fixed up. Chiro has really helped Ryder immensely overcoming his limp. It's never anything serious but it happens to him all the time.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015