Sign in to follow this  
krissn333

What's Your Favorite Leash Clip Type?

And why?

Just curious. There are so many types out there now.

There's the standard:

Leash%20Clip%20Style%20A.jpg

The lobster claw:

wpe35.jpg

The locking snap hook:

snaplock.gif

Personally I prefer this style:

Leash%20Clips%20Style%20C.jpg

We have a leash with a standard, one with a lobster claw, and one like the one above (the one I said that I prefer). I don't care for the standard, seems too easy to wear out. The lobster claw makes me nervous as it seems like the part you put your thumb on to open the clasp sticks out far enough that it could easily get unhooked on accident.

I have never seen a locking snap hook in person but that seems like it'd be secure.

This style also looks intriguing:

large-snap-nylon-leash-dog_LRG.jpg

I'm really just bored and curious what people like and why :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

All of mine have the last silver one.

Judy, mom to Do Bee, Bandita, Angel and Gizmo

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey

I like the lobster claw, but I combine it with a carabiner for Iker, who is easily frightened. I have had the style that you prefer break and open up with a pulling dog and I have had a locking one unlock, all compliments of Iker. The lobster claw with the carabiner seems to be the safest option.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

Seems more difficult nowadays to find clasps like the one I said I would prefer, too. The one I have, I bought in 2006 at Petsmart. It's just a plain black nylon leash. Everything I see in stores now has the "standard" clasp and I don't care for those.

I'd like to get a couple of 4' leashes for Ozzie and Clarice (we really don't need 6', we don't leash walk for potty - just for exercise).

We haven't had any issues with the lobster clasp leash that we have, but...the thumb handle seems to stick out so far. I don't know.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I like the lobster claw and that's all I have. The actual clip part is so long, as well as it takes effort to get it open, there's no way it could open accidentally, at least on the ones on my leashes (thank you Crown Collars for making such greyt leashes).

After our standard clasp failed for no reason -- and Heisman was on the loose and running zoomies between cars on a busy 4-lane road for many heart-stopping minutes before a Good Samaritan caught him for us -- we started reinforcing the clasp with a plastic zip-tie.

Eventually, I discovered the all-in-one collars/leashes, like http://www.jansmartingales.com/greyhoundsize.htm or the Mendota Big Dog Walker. Because they are "clasp-less," this style has become my favorite.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Growing up, I've had way too many standard ones break/jam for my taste. I prefer the lobster claw ones, or a carabiner. I do have 2 leashes that have the standard on them. One in the car, and Lynni's atm until I get her another one.

My preferred leash has the slide so that I can lock it on to my wrist :) I had one with Sammi that finally died 2 years ago and I have yet to find that again along with a lobster claw end. Only ones I've found all have the standard, which I really hate using.

Interesting thread, I ordered the 1st pic clasps for leashes as I've been asked many times if I make matching leashes to my collars...but now I'll follow this thread and see what the preferred leash is.

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

The only one I don't like is the silver one that you prefer. My reason is that Betty's winter jacket has a hole where the leash goes through. I had that type if clip come undone when the jacket pushed through the clip and unhooked it. Thankfully she didn't get away but I stopped using it after that. It isn't as big of a possibility if your pups don't wear coats (or bandanas, etc).

I don't have any experience with the locking clip.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Guest Lillypad

I really like the lobster claw. Suppose it could catch on something and open, never really thought about it that way.

Interesting responses!

Our group sends every dog home with a martingale and an all-in-one like Greydawg mentioned above. So I'm familiar with those (even know how to make them), but, we also have so many cute martingales to show off at meet & greets that we need good leashes too :)

I guess I'm curious - has anyone here (other than Robin & Iker) had a failure with the lobster clasp?

Edited by krissn333

Lobster claw. Easy to use with one hand and feels more secure than the standard clip. In the winter I was worried the spring in the standard clip would get brittle and fail so I got new leashes and haven't wanted to go back to the old style clip.

The clip that has no lever looks interesting, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere. More secure for sure as there is no lever to get caught on something and accidentally open.

@Yamaha_gurl It would be super duper awesome if there was an Ontario leash vendor! ;)

Heidismum - the hardware on the leash we have with that type of clasp is super heavy duty...it is difficult for me to unhook it sometimes. I can't see a jacket being able to unhook the particular one WE have, anyway. But again, I'm finding they're very difficult to find as of late.

We don't have leash holes in our coats here, either though. I can see where that makes a difference for you though :nod I would worry about a lobster clasp coming undone through a leash hole, though.

i've been on the hunt for a french scissor clasp for many years, no luck what so ever...

Like this?

http://www.things4yourdog.com/6%20x%203/4%20leather%20leash%20w/herm%20sprenger%20snaps

Guest shanesmom

I prefer the lobster claw style which is what I use for the leashes I make.

Almost all of my leashes have standard clips. One has a lobster claw clip which bothers me. I like the standard clip. It is easy to use, there's no fumbling, there's no accidentally pinching the flesh of a finger pad in it. But I also don't really worry about the clip failing. If it fails... well... my dogs really probably aren't going anywhere anyway, or are coming right back when I call.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Seems more difficult nowadays to find clasps like the one I said I would prefer, too. The one I have, I bought in 2006 at Petsmart. It's just a plain black nylon leash. Everything I see in stores now has the "standard" clasp and I don't care for those.

I'd like to get a couple of 4' leashes for Ozzie and Clarice (we really don't need 6', we don't leash walk for potty - just for exercise).

We haven't had any issues with the lobster clasp leash that we have, but...the thumb handle seems to stick out so far. I don't know.

I prefer the one you do as well. Unlike the standard clasp, which has failed on me multiple times (all it takes is for the clasp to get twisted a little and the D ring on the dollar will push it open and off it falls), we've never had an issue with the one we use. I think the lobster closure is probably safe as well, but I find it more awkward to snap on (I do have one leash with that closure).

FYI, i ran into the same issue when i needed to replace a leash a year or two ago. Someone on here recommended a site that makes custom leashes. You decide on material, color, clasp, and length and they have all of the choices you could want. I got 2 and they were reasonably priced. I haven't read through all of the responses, but if you want the link, let me know and I will try to dig it up.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I like the type you prefer, although those all in ones look interesting. I have a leash that I really liked for Fletcher, it has a close up "handle" and is made of the same cord that climbing rope is made from, so it was strong enough when he went all Cujo, but, it has a standard clip, so I used the caribinier as well. The girls I have now don't pull at all so I don't use it anymore.