Growling On Sofa

Hello,

We've had a greyhound for 6 weeks now. Lovely chap though very quiet. Charlie likes us all being in the same room although doesn't seem too fussed about attention: he likes lying on the spare sofa. In the last few days I've gone to sit next to Charlie to stroke me and he's growled at me. The first time I said 'no' sternly and he ran out of the room and looked very upset with himself. Today as soon as he forked he jumped off but had a really scared look. I don't want to feel intimidated by Charlie and in every other respect he's the ideal dog. He loved nee cleaning his ears on the sofa yesterday. Just wondering what people think the best way forward is. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

This subject comes up frequently.
Here's a recent thread that is similar to your problem.
http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/307486-rescue-greyhound-confused-about-behaviour/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/306167-sleep-startle-from-movement/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/306041-user-error-she-bit-my-husband-on-the-face/

http://greytarticles.wordpress.com/behavior-training-22/relationships-with/calming-signals-how-to-interpret-and-use-dog-language/

Don't discourage Charlie from growling at you. He is trying to send you a message that he is uncomfortable. I'd rather hear a growl than get bit.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Don't discourage Charlie from growling at you. He is trying to send you a message that he is uncomfortable. I'd rather hear a growl than get bit.

:nod

He is still settling in and figuring out his 'place' in your household.

With time, he may be allowed furniture priviledges, but maybe just not yet.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Lillypad

:nod

He is still settling in and figuring out his 'place' in your household.

With time, he may be allowed furniture priviledges, but maybe just not yet.

Yep, best to give him his own space. But since you asked, I firmly believe dogs should NOT be on the sofa or in our beds.

This is a personal choice of course, but my motive is to set boundries, dogs need boudries and rules, and the off limits sofa is a boundry rule in our house.

You will undoubtly set your own boundries and rules that work for you. I recently learned how important it is to think about the big picture You are teaching more than just keeping the dog off the sofa, you are teaching your dog self control and structure. As an example, I recently watched a training tutorial, the topic was free feeding. I have lots of friends that put kibble out all day for their dogs who just munch all day long. I never really though of this as being a problem but I was missing the big picture. What it was saying to this particular dog was .... I am in control here, I don't need to depend on my human. I don't need to show repect or co-operate when I want something. This particular dog was out of control and pretty much did what ever he wanted. Once the trainer explained the reasoning and put some boundries in place the dog showed great improvement. I got it too. There is so much to learn regarding dogs and it is so exciting. I love it.

I have learned a lot here on Greytalk, and you will too. I actually was enlightened to the "Don't chastise a growling dog" here. Now I undestand, yes of course it makes perfect sense, this dog could bite me, but is choosing to "talk" to me the only way he can. Once again... I love it... learning something new .

You may find this article interesting, it helps understand the "Big Picture" http://www.northerngreyhoundrescue.org.uk/page_1501563.html

Edited by Lillypad

Guest Lillypad

Thanks enjoyed the greytarticles topic on dog language. http://greytarticles...e-dog-language/

Edited by Lillypad

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You can teach him the "down" command. Once he learns the down command, then anytime he growls, you can simply give the down command and there is no issue. Really the main issue is not that he is growling, it is that he is uncomfortable with you being so close to him when he is laying down. Once the two of you have more time together to build a trusting relationship, the growling should extinguish itself. One of my boys was similar to your guy. He would grumble if I sat next to him when he was on his bed, this was in the first few months. I learned what he was comfortable with and not. After about a year there were no boundaries anymore. He trusted me to do whatever I needed or wanted to do. I can slide him around when he is sleeping and laying down. It is all about trust. You have to realize that this hound does not know you, does not really know what is expected of him, so he will take some time to trust you.

Guest k9soul

I prefer "off" as a command for getting off of things since "down" means lie down for my dogs. Rudy sometimes used to try to get in bed with me at night but he cannot sleep with me since he has sleep startle. So when he would get up there I would get up and cheerfully call to him and as he was getting down I would say "off" and then reward him and tell him good boy. Then I'd get back in bed. Sometimes he would try again but I'd just repeat it and the 2nd time always seemed to get the message across. Now when I say "off" he seems to understand what I want and he's really good about listening. I never used any scolding and always gave positive reinforcement.

In a year or so your boy's discomfort may completely go away. It just takes some time and patience.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I agree with k9 above for the word. The reason I use the command "down" is because i use hand signals with my hounds for commands such as sit, down, stay, come, etc. Its all what you want to do.

Yes, old dogs can be taught new tricks.

I suggest no allowing him on the sofa at this time. Allow him to adjust and get used to things first.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks all for your thoughts,

We've stopped Charlie going on the sofa for the moment and after a couple of days he seems to have calmed down a lot. He's still a bit wary of me and my partner when he's lying down but like you say I'm also sure it's about all getting to know each other.

Thanks again,

Matt (and Charlie)