Are Raw Split Pig's Feet Ok?

I just picked up a pack for $1.78. Thought I'd freeze them for a couple days, then give the kids footsicles on a hot afternoon.

Is there any reason NOT to? (size of bones, fatty skin, etc?). Since the time Brees got a steak bone wedged in her mouth, I'm a little nervous about trying new things.

Mine have had them before, but it loosened someone's stool, but I don't remember who! I imagine it was Dante, but he had a sensitive gut. It would upset Maverick's system, too, I imagine, but Goose and Fancy would be fine. They both have iron guts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I asked on this forum about giving split raw calves hooves several years ago. They are plentiful here for use in menudo. I thought "people eat them, why can't dogs"? Oh gee was I admonished by people telling me that todays factory farmed animals basically stand in their poop all day and I'd be insane to feed my dogs poop marinated raw hooves. :dunno if those who said that were correct. My neighbors all seem to be alive and well after consuming lots of menudo. They sell kits her in the meat section with hooves, tripe, etc. all in one handy package like the ones for pot roast.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I asked on this forum about giving split raw calves hooves several years ago. They are plentiful here for use in menudo. I thought "people eat them, why can't dogs"? Oh gee was I admonished by people telling me that todays factory farmed animals basically stand in their poop all day and I'd be insane to feed my dogs poop marinated raw hooves. :dunno if those who said that were correct. My neighbors all seem to be alive and well after consuming lots of menudo. They sell kits her in the meat section with hooves, tripe, etc. all in one handy package like the ones for pot roast.

Eh. If I freeze them for a couple days, maybe the bacteria will die?

Cindy, a little juicy poo doesn't worry me. Not looking for major blowouts, though. Both dogs are pretty ok eating random crap, and raw usually sits well.

I've fed plenty in my raw feeding time although I usually feed whole feet and my dogs don't generally have issues with them. For them typically I just expect a lot of "bony" poop (which equates to dry and crumbly) so I need to make sure they have meat meals on either end so their poop doesn't get to hard, making it difficult for them to go.

However, that's sort of all in the life of a raw feeder. As a snack, you shouldn't have to worry about most of that stuff although I will say I know at least one person whose dog had major big D after eating one. It really depends on your dog and probably how much you vary their diet and give raw treats like that. I know, not helpful, but there's only one way to find out. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, in decent weather they get bony raw snacks a couple times a weeks. Chicken makes them runny, beef keeps things normal, and turkey makes the poo chalky. They don't get a lot of pork, except a pig ear sometimes. I do think they've had freezer burned chops.

If you think pig feet are basically ok, I'm good with that!

Yes, outside of the potential for an upset stomach, they should be fine. Report back on how things come out. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our grocery store carries pig feet and I occasionally feed them. No issues here, but my dogs don't have problems with different meats. As Jen said, it depends on the dog, and as long as you don't feed them all the time (they are quite boney and I am guessing fatty with all of the skin) they should be okay. Hoping things come out well the other end! :P

Edited by RedHead

Guest Lillypad

Oh, good, this post is timely. I have pig feet in the freezer.

I will be waiting anxiously to hear how your hound fared with his pig piggies.

That's ridiculous! How many people feed their dogs green tripe, which is basically unprocessed cow manure? What's the big deal?

I know. My silly thinking was if the neighbors use calves hooves every Sunday morning and you can buy menudo in restaurants hooves should be OK for dogs. :dunno

Everyone's an expert. Funny that you should mention raw green tripe which is also available at the corner grocery...it is actually grey and very yucky looking. I was told very pointedly by someone on here that it was illegal to sell green tripe for human consumption and I must be mistaken - but it's right there in the meat case along with the hearts, kidneys, tails, ears, feet, tongue and lots of other interesting "by products" my neighbors pay good money for. It's not a corner bodega either, but a fairly good size Texas chain.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marsroving

Mars Loves, Loves pig feet. It takes him about 30 minutes to an hour to finish a whole foot but he really enjoys them and the collagen is great for his coat. I give him one foot every two weeks as it can cause him to have super crumbly, powdery poo...but yea, he gets more excited when he sees the foot come out of the package than for any other food/treat.

Guest Lillypad

Waiting for a update report from Riverhound. Wondering about the end result... LOL

Edited by Lillypad