Probiotic For Dog With Ibd

Lucy has been getting FortiFlora for over 3+ months and while I can't say it hasn't been working, I think I'd like to try another probiotic. Any recommendations?

Note, Lucy cannot use any products that have meat, chicken, pork - her only protein allowed is fish ......

Vetri probiotic chews work wonders. Lexie has a very sensitive tummy and those are the only ones that work for her without bothering her tummy.

Thanks for the suggestion - the chewables have "chicken flavor", sent message to them asking for further clarification.

Sallie doesn't have IBD, but she has developed some tummy issues as she has gotten older, and has been taking Thorne Research Bacillus Coagulans VET, which says "maintains proper gut flora". It has worked very well for her, although it did take 3-4 weeks for it to become fully effective. It doesn't look like it has any animal protein.

Fletcher had IBD, but I never found a probiotic that really helped him. He did benefit from a dose of Manuka honey in his food.

Sallie doesn't have IBD, but she has developed some tummy issues as she has gotten older, and has been taking Thorne Research Bacillus Coagulans VET, which says "maintains proper gut flora". It has worked very well for her, although it did take 3-4 weeks for it to become fully effective. It doesn't look like it has any animal protein.

Fletcher had IBD, but I never found a probiotic that really helped him. He did benefit from a dose of Manuka honey in his food.

Yes, it is vegetarian -- it's in my cart at Amazon. Funny that you mention the maruka honey as I've been giving it to Lucy for about 6 weeks. So far she's stable with the IBD but I wish I could get a few more pounds on her.

Is there a reason dogs can't take people probiotics? Natural grocers is closed but I swear I bought Acidopholis and Bifrobacterium capsules years ago for something like $10 for 30 days. Those appear to be the main strains in RX Biotics, which has a very low level of 2 billion.

I am the HUGEST fan of probiotics for myself and wish so much that I had known about them when Rex was alive. They have totally changed my life. I have to take a 30 billion formula - 15 isn't enough. I will go check labels tomorrow. I have a feeling you can get the exact same thing as RX Biotics for a fraction of the price.

Every probiotic I've bought has been in vegetable based capsules.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I use Proviable DC. My vet first prescribed it for Bullitt. I get it from Amazon without a prescription. You can also get it from chewy.com, it works great. I've started 3 of my sensitive stomach dogs on it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks for all the responses - this gives me a few to try over the next few months!

I'm not sure if vets would say that dogs can take the same probiotics as people -- depending on my success (or not) with these animal dedicated ones, I may try people ones later.

We have been using ProBios tablets with success, but my kids don't have IBD so you'd want to check it out first.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I don't see why human probiotics wouldn't work if they contain the exact same strains of bacteria. :dunno Natural grocers has an 8 billion one with acidoophlis, bifoobacteria longum and bifobacteria bifidum - $10.99 for 60 capsules. FWIW it's always better to get either the refrigerated versions and/or ones that are coated.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg