Advice Needed - Swallowed Chicken Bone

Guest deebeemee2103

Guest deebeemee2103

Hi all.
My grey (Robin) is 7 years old. I was taking her for a walk in our apartment complex around the (enclosed) pool. Earlier in the day, some neighbors were grilling near the pool. They threw their burned meat outside of the gate and into the grass, where dogs typically are walked.
Before I could notice, Robin snatched a burned chicken leg from this area and swallowed it whole. I didn't even have time to react or see the objects in the tall grass.

I'm trying to reach a few vets, but I would appreciate some advice or feedback. It's been a few hours and she seems fine.

Give her pieces of bread. If the cooked bone has splintered, bread will help give some protection from sharp edges. Do NOT make her vomit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Most likely she'll be fine. She would probably be showing signs by now if there was an obstruction or problem. Keep an eye on things, but I wouldn't worry too much. My dogs have scarfed down many bones out of the garbage over the years, and I have never had a problem.

If she swallowed it whole she'll be fine - unless the bone was already broken within the leg, and even then she'll probably be fine. Try giving her bread, and just watch her carefully for signs of abdominal discomfort, or straining when she poops. If you see anything odd (standing with head low, backed arched & tummy tucked high, for instance) call the vet and get her checked.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If I had a dollar for every discarded bone one of my dogs has eaten...

I wouldn't worry about it. She shouldn't have trouble digesting it and if she swallowed it whole like it sounds like you don't really have the concern about the bone splintering. Obviously if she develops odd symptoms get her into the vet, but I really wouldn't worry.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Mine ate two chicken wings my daughter left out. I fed bread and watched her. She was fine. Did find two bones in her poop though. I believe she will be fine.