Sudden Extreme Gi Illness In Your Grey?....

Guest alannamac

Guest alannamac

Have you experienced or do you have friends who have recently experienced sudden illness in their greyhound with no explained causes?

I recently lost my greyhound (5yr old) to unexplained severe GI issues. He was dumping proteins out of both his bowel and kidneys and was severely ill for almost 2 weeks before I had to let him go. It was unrecoverable and we can't figure out what triggered it. He had been to the vet 4 weeks previously and it was even noted in his charts what a strapping healthy pup he was.

No symptoms of IBD or any other such thing previous and I'm wondering if we've got another food source problem!

He was a picky eater and had been vaccinated for rabies and was under a bit of stress because I had gone out of town for a week, but he wasn't a separation anxiety guy...

Now I'm seeing a couple of other posts where people are running into the exact same thing.

If you see or know of such things can you please post here and put the treats and foods your pup was eating?

and please save them.....if this list gets long, we've definitely got an issue and need to alert our vets!

Thanks so much. I will bump this to the top of the thread chain every once in a while for more exposure.

Sad to say I heard of a GSD that experienced similar symptoms after his rabies vaccination. I think he was even vomiting blood etc. I believe they reported it as an adverse event from the rabies shot. It was on a working dog forum. I have heard of it causing similar issues-in fact I hold it accountable for Minny's early demise-so again sad to say I wasn't surprised. Of course all the pro shoot 'em up people will flame me and say I am nuts but until it affects YOUR dog it doesn't really hit home so I don't care :) Minny was always healthy as a horse and crashed/collapsed only moments after 'the shot' so it was very clear even to a blind man what caused it.

Also when Minny's rabies shot went wrong, at that same period of time, there were several other dogs mentioned experiencing adverse effects-some of which died-mentioned on this very forum. You will never convince me it wasn't a 'bad' batch of rabies vaccine that had been distributed. Of course it was quickly covered up so thats the end of that story. It was very noticeable and obvious though because SUDDENLY there was a rash of several dogs sick and/or dying right after getting their rabies shot. For the record an adverse event does not always manifest right away and there may be some time elapse between receiving the shot and manifesting the illness. This results in the actual adverse rxns being under reported as many times the connection isn't made and the illness is considered a mystery. The vaccine companies are quite happy and comfortable about this aspect of it and it definitely will not be corrected.

While anything is possible and I hope you will share the biopsy results, most times these things aren't related to poisons, vaccines, or anything we can prevent :( .

Here is a reasonably easy-to-understand summary of the lymphangiectasias: http://marvistavet.com/html/intestinal_lymphangiectasia.html

I'm sorry for your awful loss.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest alannamac

Rabies vaccine was 4 weeks prior. He was using Sentinel as heartworm protection and was due for his next Sentinel at time of death. Seresto flea collar. He tested negative for all tick borne diseases.

Symptoms.....lethargy poor appetite, progressing to diarrhea, (3 days) then vomiting (water and mucous no noticable blood)....immediately

off to vet and absolute downhill from there....electrolytes were off, blood albumin was near death low, kidney and liver function tests fine, albumin very high in urine,

RBCs and WBCs fine (the RBCs went down after a few days of this but still no bloody vomit, no bloody stool).....extreme edema compromising lungs and heart,

which relocated to abdomen and legs....

Food sources and treats:

Zuke's Zbones carrot crisp (checked with Zukes all components sourced in US even the glycerin which is from palm oil...they are very helpful and communicative)

Zuke's Z filets

Pupperoni beef flavor

Milk bones regular flavor

MIlk bone trail mix

Newman's Own peanut butter treats

Nutro lamb and rice tinned

Purina One Chicken and Rice dry

Purina One Beyond Chicken and Barley

Sad to say I heard of a GSD that experienced similar symptoms after his rabies vaccination. I think he was even vomiting blood etc. I believe they reported it as an adverse event from the rabies shot. It was on a working dog forum. I have heard of it causing similar issues-in fact I hold it accountable for Minny's early demise-so again sad to say I wasn't surprised. Of course all the pro shoot 'em up people will flame me and say I am nuts but until it affects YOUR dog it doesn't really hit home so I don't care :) Minny was always healthy as a horse and crashed/collapsed only moments after 'the shot' so it was very clear even to a blind man what caused it.

Also when Minny's rabies shot went wrong, at that same period of time, there were several other dogs mentioned experiencing adverse effects-some of which died-mentioned on this very forum. You will never convince me it wasn't a 'bad' batch of rabies vaccine that had been distributed. Of course it was quickly covered up so thats the end of that story. It was very noticeable and obvious though because SUDDENLY there was a rash of several dogs sick and/or dying right after getting their rabies shot. For the record an adverse event does not always manifest right away and there may be some time elapse between receiving the shot and manifesting the illness. This results in the actual adverse rxns being under reported as many times the connection isn't made and the illness is considered a mystery. The vaccine companies are quite happy and comfortable about this aspect of it and it definitely will not be corrected.

I am so sorry. This is terrible.

While anything is possible and I hope you will share the biopsy results, most times these things aren't related to poisons, vaccines, or anything we can prevent :( .

Here is a reasonably easy-to-understand summary of the lymphangiectasias: http://marvistavet.c...ngiectasia.html

I'm sorry for your awful loss.

Thank you Batmom. I'm having trouble opening the link....

Edited by alannamac

I tried to fix the link in my original post. If it still doesn't work, the reference is to marvistavet.com -- go to the Pet Web Library and look for Lymphangiectasia in the list of topics there. It's just a nice summary of possible causes, symptoms, lab findings, etc. The page is dedicated to a dog who was lost to the condition at the age of 4 :( :( :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My non-grey had a bout of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis last week. Idiopathic. Course of a bunch of meds and subQ fluids and has bounced back fine. Came out of nowhere, went from uncontrolled watery diarrhea to bloody diarrhea over the course of a day, lethargy then set in. I have three dogs who all eat the same exact things and the dogs are crated when not supervised, so very little chance to have ingested something I wasn't aware of. The other dogs are fine and have showed no symptoms.

~Amanda

Just wanted to say how sorry I am. It is bad enough to lose them when they've been sick for some time, but to lose one that was young and healthy like your boy and then to get sick and die so quickly adds to the heartbreak. I hope you get some answers from his necropsy.

:grouphug

Guest gomiesmom

We JUST lost our 9 year old Gomer two weeks ago yesterday to semi- unexplained, very sudden GI, jejumim ( middle sm. intestine) issues. Endoscopy biopsies reveald IBD, but clinical was MORE severe than biopsies revealed, went from 70 lbs, to 58 when taken to NC State vet school for Treatment, after Local vet could not figure out. Lost another 8 lbs in ICU - would eat one day, not the other, had fluids, lots of meds, etc. losing protien, all just like Red. Lympahntasia (sp) was ruled out, per biopsy.

Gomers Last ck up Dec 19,2013 - had extensive blood & urine work, ( as always) all fine - ** RABIES - 3 yr** given at this visit , titered for Dist. /Parvo, as usual. had letpto shot also at this visit . Titer came back low for DAP, vaccinated for that Jan 30 at dental appt. Real Trouble began 5/1 - refusing to eat, etc., but was semi- picky a little before that, but not super long time, but nothing like what began 1st of May. NC state was very impressed at his health records and the amount of baseline information they had to work with. I always thought that all of the extensive records would help with things like this.

Does anyone think or suspect it's the rabies, or DAP vaccines? ( Rabies MFG Merial - Lot # S300571E). Dont have lot #'s for other vaccines, but imagine I could get it from vet.

I split my guys shots, and titer, as to TRY to avoid things like this -- if even related . He was due for Lyme & Canine Influenza 5/2, but obviously did not do those, due to onset of illness.

Or does anyone think or supect Food - Feeding Taste/ Wild Duck formula, since Feb 2013 , prior to that Purina Propand chk/ rice, prior to that purina lamb/ rice ( switched from Lamb few yrs. ago when massive New Zealand Flooding , and lamb shortage) . Treats were Nutro blueberry, two a day, and some people food, mostly vegatables, as a snack after our dinner, but we're talking ounces, here - not much.

We have an 8 y/o Femlae, as well, Lillly, who is on Taste/ Wild - she seems fine-- she is due for rabies 9/29/14 - and now I am sorta weirded out. It's illegal not to vaccinate , but what the heck -/

I have autopsy comments from Vet if anyone wants to review, not super technical, but somewhat. Don't want to hi=jack thread.

I am so sorry to hear about Red. I was following the other "Red" thread, and was so hopeful he would pull out of it, unlike Gomer. Gomer, Red and Sarge are way too similar. I do beleive Goms & Red had more extensive healthcare than Sarge, due to the fact Sarge just recently got to a stable home . Gomer had NO issues before this sudden onset. He was slightly stressed when it stormed and slighly more nervous than our Lilly, but not "spooky" -. Otherwise a happy, healthy, 9 year old bouncy boy that we'd had since he was 2, non=crated & loved, & loved "his " house. He was clingy, attached to both DH & I - followed us around, etc.,, but we loved it, and it was "his" thing. My Lilly is more independent.

Again - so sorry about Red & Sarge, and maybe there is absolutely no tieback or common element, but it's a little disturbing, to me anyway.

Any auto-immune disease can be triggered by any vaccination at any time. My own mother, who'd had no trouble with other vaccines during her lifetime, was persuaded to have the flu shot at age 82/83. It triggered a devastating whole-body auto-immune arthritis and she became disabled within weeks, and registered disabled within the shortest time the beaurocrats could process it. She suffered from it until her death nearly a decade later. She'd had NO arthritis previous to the vaccine and her rheumatologist admitted (off the record) that his money was on the flu shot as the cause.

From what I read and understand, some vaccines are more likely to trigger problems in susceptible people/animals than others, and the flu vaccine is one of them. The rabies vaccine is another.

And any vaccine is more likely to trigger a bad reaction if given together with other vaccines, or too closely following other vaccines/treatments. The same is true for any other type of challenge to the immune system: even viruses which we catch in the normal course of our lives can trigger auto-immune illnesses, and some are quite famous for it - Epstein Barr is one.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest alannamac

Any auto-immune disease can be triggered by any vaccination at any time. My own mother, who'd had no trouble with other vaccines during her lifetime, was persuaded to have the flu shot at age 82/83. It triggered a devastating whole-body auto-immune arthritis and she became disabled within weeks, and registered disabled within the shortest time the beaurocrats could process it. She suffered from it until her death nearly a decade later. She'd had NO arthritis previous to the vaccine and her rheumatologist admitted (off the record) that his money was on the flu shot as the cause.

From what I read and understand, some vaccines are more likely to trigger problems in susceptible people/animals than others, and the flu vaccine is one of them. The rabies vaccine is another.

And any vaccine is more likely to trigger a bad reaction if given together with other vaccines, or too closely following other vaccines/treatments. The same is true for any other type of challenge to the immune system: even viruses which we catch in the normal course of our lives can trigger auto-immune illnesses, and some are quite famous for it - Epstein Barr is one.

I am so sorry about your Mother. How awful.

Yes I was really wondering if that rabies vaccine Red had sent this whole thing into a tail spin. Especially since he'd not really had any issues before.

I will post his autopsy results when I find out. But, it won't really indicate the smoking gun, just whether his immune system was going nuts at the time.

We JUST lost our 9 year old Gomer two weeks ago yesterday to semi- unexplained, very sudden GI, jejumim ( middle sm. intestine) issues. Endoscopy biopsies reveald IBD, but clinical was MORE severe than biopsies revealed, went from 70 lbs, to 58 when taken to NC State vet school for Treatment, after Local vet could not figure out. Lost another 8 lbs in ICU - would eat one day, not the other, had fluids, lots of meds, etc. losing protien, all just like Red. Lympahntasia (sp) was ruled out, per biopsy.

Gomers Last ck up Dec 19,2013 - had extensive blood & urine work, ( as always) all fine - ** RABIES - 3 yr** given at this visit , titered for Dist. /Parvo, as usual. had letpto shot also at this visit . Titer came back low for DAP, vaccinated for that Jan 30 at dental appt. Real Trouble began 5/1 - refusing to eat, etc., but was semi- picky a little before that, but not super long time, but nothing like what began 1st of May. NC state was very impressed at his health records and the amount of baseline information they had to work with. I always thought that all of the extensive records would help with things like this.

Does anyone think or suspect it's the rabies, or DAP vaccines? ( Rabies MFG Merial - Lot # S300571E). Dont have lot #'s for other vaccines, but imagine I could get it from vet.

I split my guys shots, and titer, as to TRY to avoid things like this -- if even related . He was due for Lyme & Canine Influenza 5/2, but obviously did not do those, due to onset of illness.

Or does anyone think or supect Food - Feeding Taste/ Wild Duck formula, since Feb 2013 , prior to that Purina Propand chk/ rice, prior to that purina lamb/ rice ( switched from Lamb few yrs. ago when massive New Zealand Flooding , and lamb shortage) . Treats were Nutro blueberry, two a day, and some people food, mostly vegatables, as a snack after our dinner, but we're talking ounces, here - not much.

We have an 8 y/o Femlae, as well, Lillly, who is on Taste/ Wild - she seems fine-- she is due for rabies 9/29/14 - and now I am sorta weirded out. It's illegal not to vaccinate , but what the heck -/

I have autopsy comments from Vet if anyone wants to review, not super technical, but somewhat. Don't want to hi=jack thread.

I am so sorry to hear about Red. I was following the other "Red" thread, and was so hopeful he would pull out of it, unlike Gomer. Gomer, Red and Sarge are way too similar. I do beleive Goms & Red had more extensive healthcare than Sarge, due to the fact Sarge just recently got to a stable home . Gomer had NO issues before this sudden onset. He was slightly stressed when it stormed and slighly more nervous than our Lilly, but not "spooky" -. Otherwise a happy, healthy, 9 year old bouncy boy that we'd had since he was 2, non=crated & loved, & loved "his " house. He was clingy, attached to both DH & I - followed us around, etc.,, but we loved it, and it was "his" thing. My Lilly is more independent.

Again - so sorry about Red & Sarge, and maybe there is absolutely no tieback or common element, but it's a little disturbing, to me anyway.

I am so sorry. Yes our cases do seem very similar. I've Pm'd you. Red also had stress issues from storms but was not a "spooky" dog. He did like to have people around but was ok on his own at home when I went to work etc. He too was a free range pup : )

If it's a vaccination thing, it may just depend upon the dog....if it were related to one particular lot # etc there would be dogs dropping like flies right now of all breeds. I hope that helps a little to comfort you for Lilly's vaccination time....

Hang in there.

IBD is an immune mediated disease. Just about anything can trigger your immune system to go haywire--stress, vaccines, hell sneeze wrong and the immune system can get twisted.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. First poor Gomie and now poor Red. Damn disease.