Custom Made Braces For Old Broken Hocks Involving Calcaneous Bones

Guest ppeyton55

Guest ppeyton55

Does anyone have experience with bracing an old broken hock injury involving the calcaneous bone? I just adopted a 9 year old brood mom. Her right rear calcaneous bone was broken 7 years ago and never treated. It healed badly and now she is very lame. She does not want to walk at all. As a result, she became overweight in her foster home. I would love to get her up and moving but am not sure what direction to head in. Any advice, experience is appreciated! Thanks

I do not have any experience with hock injuries, but Schon Gross at Dogleggs is wonderful with rehab and stability products. They have many pre-made products and can do any number of custom items. They have many items in stock that are not shown on the website. She helped me so much with Mandy's multiple issues.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I have a friend who recently received braces for her dog. Not sure if it was for the same thing. I will direct her to this thread, although I'm pretty sure she is no longer on GT. I do know that they are very happy with the results but it took the dog a while to get used to them. He refused to move at first :)

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Vallery's prosthetic was custom made for her by http://www.orthopets.com

They have a virtual clinic. They work with you online thur photo's and video. Also by phone. I was referred to them by Dr Dyce at Ohio State Veterinary Clinic. They worked with our local vet in getting a casting of her leg. Vallery is missing a foot. They made the prosthetic and mailed it to us. We took video's of Vallery walking with the prosthetic and of the problem rubbing we had. We mailed it back and forth twice. Vallery has done well with her prosthetic foot now for 2 years.

Best of luck with your broodie. Have you considered taking her to see Dr Dyce. You are really so close. I would drive them up from Memphis TN. I was well worth the trip for us.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)