Chicken And Beef?

Guest Honeysmom

Guest Honeysmom

So, my young new dog was let's say "just a bit" overweight and the vet gave me a diet for her that includes Chicken for her second meal. So the diet worked quite well and her weight came down and she's doing fine .....however, during our latest vet visits he has been saying not to feed chicken or beef because it is a high allergy food for dogs....beef does not agree with my dog so I avoid that but this is the same vet who gave me the special diet including chicken. Then my friend, Linda, also a dog owner tells me that chicken and beef are the high allergy foods for dogs and she feeds kibble with lamb.

What's the story with chicken now? Is it a taboo food for dogs? I'm just remembering all the greyhound photos of greyhounds eating the raw chicken breasts and loving it. Anyone know the real story on chicken?

Guest Celestrina

It's not bad, in fact it can be healthy. However, some dogs do have a sensitivity to it. If your dog is ok with chicken then there's no reason to avoid it.

It gives my dog the big D.

Edited by Celestrina

Chicken and beef do seem to be the most common meat allergies in dogs. But...if your dog does not have a problem with it, I see no reason to stop feeding it :dunno Allergies do develop over time, after repeated exposure to an ingredient. You can try rotating protein sources and food types if you are really concerned.

Guest Jesse12789

currently im feeding nutrish beef... if i swith to nutrish chicken is that like totally changing dog foods? or will it be easier than say if i switched to a completely diffrent brand? should i do the whole brown rice and slowly ween him onto it ? he has a great stomach never has had the runs even when i completely changed his dog brand he just got a little gas.

Guest Celestrina

currently im feeding nutrish beef... if i swith to nutrish chicken is that like totally changing dog foods? or will it be easier than say if i switched to a completely diffrent brand? should i do the whole brown rice and slowly ween him onto it ? he has a great stomach never has had the runs even when i completely changed his dog brand he just got a little gas.

I would still say wean him into it. Better to be safe than sorry.