Laryngeal Paralysis Questions For Surgeon

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

So I lost my girl Jesse to osteo March 1, and a day before we went to Mountain Hounds my vet has a very strong suspicion that my boy Bart has LP. This was based upon his "retching which he did in front of her", his being out of breath just walking across the room (he's not overweight, he is within 3 lbs of his race weight), he has had a few bouts of hind end weakness, his roo has changed pitch (gotten raspy) and he does actually seem to be slowing down. He is 10 so we are concerned. Our main vet thinks he is a good candidate for surgery because of his apparent good health. My reg vet suggested a good vet here in the Chicago suburbs for this surgery. I have an appointment next tuesday am with a surgeon. Does anyone have experience with this and if so, what questions should I ask the vet? Thanks for any and all comments, I have been scouring the internet trying to research the issue and it seems that in some occasions there is nerve problems that affect the rear end as well and it is progressive. Right now he only retches once or twice a day, he doesnt breathe like a lion roar yet either. So I dont think the situation is critical yet, but I dont want it getting there either. One last thing to add, if we are going to go the surgery route, I will definitely have the throat scoped to verify the condition first. Thank you.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest MnMDogs

We had Mork diagnosed with X-ray I believe. I would ask how much experience the vet has performing these surgeries, how long he expects your boy to be under (the longer they're under, the higher the risk of aspiration post surgery)

Mork's quality of life improved immediately post surgery. It was amazing... He did have hind end weakness at the time which progressively got worse. But he lived 3 happy years after his surgery (to 14 and a few months).

Good thoughts to you and Bart.

Does he have the more classic sign of harsh, raspy panting? If not, I'd be a little concerned about him getting out of breath just walking across the room. It does sound like early LP is a strong possibility, but most of the dogs I see don't show signs of exercise intolerance until it's a little more advanced. Would definitely need to confirm with a scope or sedated exam, and I'd also consider doing chest x-rays to assess his heart/lungs. Here's a good article about LP: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2331

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I forgot to add that we had multiple x-rays of his neck/chest. His heart edges are sharp and the heart does not appear enlarged (per vet). The lungs appear clear, except for a few "donuts (would indicate bronchitis)" only 2 seen, the lungs are clear as well. There does appear to be a bit of arthritis (not sharp lines on bone) between the 3, 4 & 5 spine bones. The throat looks good with no hardening of the walls or masses.

He did have an episode where he retched at the vet's office so she heard that, but as far as the loud breathing, he doesn't exhibit that. It seems that's about the one symptom he does not exhibit.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

We have good news today. Bart had an appt with a surgeon, and later in the day he had his throat scoped to diagnose LP. He came back with a normal larynx function so no LP!!!! I am so happy.

Wonderful news!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That IS wonderful news! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown