Jump to content

Toxic For Dogs


Recommended Posts

fake sugar = xylitol...killed a GPA-WI's member's dog :(

 

macadamia nuts

garlic

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

fake sugar = xylitol...killed a GPA-WI's member's dog :(

 

macadamia nuts

garlic

Garlic is NOT toxic to dogs unless, like many other things it is ingested in very large quantities over a short space of time. Sadi was fed garlic virtually every day of the eight years that she was with me, she lived to be 14, all of my dogs have been fed garlic with NO ill effect. If you don't believe me , don't feed it to your dog. Btw water can kill you if you drink too much of it!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

There are a lot of houseplants as well, one of which i know is the leaf of the ponsetta <sp> plant. There are others, hopefully someone with a green thumb will chime in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not all black and white. Blanket "toxic" lists send a lot of people into needless panic. While it is not advisable to feed your dog large quantities of alcohol. chocolate or garlic on a regular basis I know plenty of dogs that have ingested all of the above in small or moderate quantities and lived happy healthy lives.

Chocolate in particular is tricky as toxicity has to do with the strength of the chocolate. A box of baking chocolate might harm or kill a grey but a few of Hersey's milk chocolate kisses isn't likely to cause more harm than the pain the owner feels picking up poop with foil embedded in it. Avocados are on the list of toxic foods so explain Avoderm dog food.....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only the pit is toxic in avocados. All stone fruit pits contain arsenic and should not be eaten by anyone. The fruit part is fine.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with you Pam. Sailor has gotten into milk chocolate a few times and I wasn't too worried. When he got into chocolate covered raisins I was concerned about the raisins, not the chocolate. I induced vomiting and he was fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...