No Longer Gassy, Windy Or Stinky Dog

Guest roweboy

Guest roweboy

A little while back I posted about our extremely 'windy' dog and our frustrations living with the stench. Before we got our boy, we'd read about greyhounds and gas, but I was sure diet would be the key to controlling it.

We've had CJ for just over 3 months and when we first got him we fed him Nature's Domain beef and sweet potato from Costco. We had no idea what food he'd been on previously and we were lucky that he didn't have any adjustment diarrhea or obvious gastric distress. However, his gas was intolerable - as in sleepless nights for me intolerable. After two bags of that and interminable gas, I read a lot of articles and opinions on food and switched him to Authority from Petsmart. It's like night and day for his digestive system. Poops are good, coat is soft and shiny and best of all, we have a 99% gas-free dog! He weighs 78/79lbs and gets about 3-4 cups of kibble plus I supplement with occasional raw ground chicken, weekly frozen raw turkey necks, yogurt, pumpkin and daily salmon oil or Missing Link. His weight is good and now everything about him is a joy to live with!

I write this because I've heard several people comment that an on-going gas problem is common with greys and that's seen as a big negative to ownership. How sad not to adopt a dog because he might be gassy! I'd like to dispel that myth. Any dog who is constantly gassy must also feel crappy so while I'm not suggesting our choice of food is a one-size-fits-all solution, I have proof that diet can be altered to make a dog comfortable, healthy and pleasant to live with. I know some people swear by a totally raw diet, but I need the convenience of kibble and CJ gets lots of variety with it.

Guest june

You are right, diet is a matter of choice and what your pup tolerates. GH gas is impossible to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it.

I'm so glad that you found something that works for you.

That is what kills me about greyhound gas - the fact that people think that's just life. Gas from your dog means their food doesn't agree and you need to find something different that agrees with them better.

Did you go with the grain-free Authority, or the original Authority food?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I agree that the gas is usually associated with diet. I feed raw and gas is rarely a problem. How about a limited ingredient dry food? There are quite a few on the market. Acana, a few are limited ingredient, Zignature also has limited ingredient. Both excellent foods.

• 1 month later...
Guest jbeth

We feed grain free, but also give our greys a tablespoon of cottage cheese with their kibble. They love it, and we never have gas issues now.

• 2 weeks later...