Looking For The Tiniest Hope... Any Chance This Isn't Osteo?

Guest amanda3784

Guest amanda3784

I posted this on the Facebook thread when it happened... but I wanted to ask here.

My poor baby Henry is four... almost five. For the past few months he has had a limp. It hasn't gotten a ton worse, but not any better. It is only when he first gets up from laying down. If he goes for a walk, his walk is normal. He does bunny-hop when he runs, though.

We took him to a vet for an xray and they said there was a slight irregularity on his pubic bone. He said it was very tiny, and that there was nothing anywhere else on his legs or on his spine. He is sending it to a board-certified radiologist for review but we won't hear back from him or her until tomorrow.

Is there any chance this is something other than the dreaded osteo? He is so young and so sweet, and he seems otherwise incredibly healthy and energetic. :(

Of course there's a chance. After you hear from the radiologist, send the x-rays to Dr Couto for another opinion.

An irregularity on the bone is an irregularity on the bone--and that doesn't have to be a tumor.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest amanda3784

Yes. There is a chance. We've recently had 2 cases on GT that looked like osteo, but weren't.

Spoil Henry anyway!

Oh I have been hugging and cuddling him like a madwoman. He is confused and his littermate, Maggie, is jealous! (She is really my husband's baby, and Henry is mine, although I try not to show favoritism!)

Definitely send the X-rays to Dr. Couto, even if the radiologist says it isn't Osteo. My Diamond was misdiagnosed for over two months after two vets and a surgeon missed Osteo on three sets of X-rays. We still think/hope we caught it early (finally diagnosed via an MRI), but I wish I'd involved Dr. Couto at the start.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest amanda3784

Did you check for corns????

Yes, I did and so did the vet. His feet are fine. :( (I mean, yay! His feet are fine! But I wish it were that.)

Good thoughts for Henry and you. I hope it's nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The symptoms are indicative of arthritis, if his pain is upon rising. Particularly if he basically shakes it off and walks normally! As an arthritis sufferer myself, I can tell you that the act of rising from a sitting or laying down position is probably the most difficult thing I do.

Have you gotten him on an NSAID?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

As others have said, an irregularity on the bone is ... an irregularity on the bone. Could be arthritis, a bone cyst, random idiopathic demineralisation, necrosis or hyperostosis, fungal, old injury, etc. Or it could be a bone tumour - and remember there are some bone tumours which are benign. Try not to panic until all the information is available! :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest amanda3784

We put him on NSAIDs and the limp did not go away. It maybe, MAYBE got a little bit better but it didn't go away.

Guest amanda3784

Just to update, the vet never called me today like he said he would. :censored I called and left a message with the front desk. Hopefully I will learn more tomorrow. When he does call I am going to ask if they will send me the x-rays so I can send them to Dr. Couto.

Guest amanda3784

Greyt news!

The radiologist does NOT think that the abnormality is indicative of a bone tumor. He said it does not have the right look.

The bad news is that they still don't know what is going on. Something is up in the pelvic region. I was not 100% clear on what the vet was saying it might be, but he said that an MRI might still be a good step. Which I am dreading because it is EXPENSIVE. But, Henry's health comes first.

If this was my dog, I would send the x-rays to Dr. Couto for a second opinion.

I think that is a very good idea.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I vote for before. He seems to have a quick response time, usually. And as you say, an MRI is a big expense.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Yes, I do plan on sending them to Dr. Couto. Do you think I should do that before scheduling the MRI?

Yes!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yes, I do plan on sending them to Dr. Couto. Do you think I should do that before scheduling the MRI?

A hundred times yes! And hopefully he confirms that it's not osteo. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."