Dory "bow Dreamer" April 28 2002- June 3 2014

Guest BlingDogs

Guest BlingDogs
We put Dory to sleep today. Yesterday we brought her to the vet as her pesky limp had gotten much worse over the weekend. The vet X-rayed her and found cancer in her shoulder... He told us she was in a lot of pain. She masked her pain so well over the past months I decided that we should send her to heaven when she was still happy. The vet came to our house and sent her away... She was calm and content.

When we got Dory, my parents didn’t want to care for a dog without me. At 8 years old, Dory was the perfect fit. I knew that there was a possibility she might only live a couple of years. I think it’s because of this attitude that I was able to appreciate and cherish every single wonderful memory we made.

Dory was the single most positive influence in my life. Walking together, twice a day, every day, I enjoyed so many things. People would always stop to talk to us. Kids ran up to us to pet her. Walking around the neighbourhood, we met other greyhound people, we meandered in garage sales, we got lost and got found- a lot. I can’t count the amount of magical encounters that we had with deer, coyotes, and all the other wildlife I didn’t even know thrived here. Just the act of getting outside on a routine, sometimes in ridiculous weather conditions I would never face alone, made me feel free and happy. I get home from school every day at 3 o’ clock sharp. It’s going to feel odd not heading right back out the door with Dory a few minutes later.

The car was one of her favourite places. I think it was because being in the car meant she could go anywhere.

IMG_6588.JPG

This was us at the GRA picnic

IMG_9160.JPG

Camping each year was a week of pure paradise for Dory. She seemed to be five times as energetic then, hiking, swimming, and sniffing everything until we packed everything up again to head back to the city.

At the Pinery

IMG_2582.JPG

Hiking at Algonquin

IMG_5053.JPG

Would you believe it? She learned to swim!

IMG_0539.JPG

Walking everywhere was one of her favourite things.

IMG_5578.JPG

The coldest winter wouldn't scare off this feisty gal. She loved all weather, except the blazing heat...

IMG_5866.JPG

Seeing her like this always warmed my heart.

IMG_5426.JPG

Sometimes she was just plain adorable..

IMG_3939.JPG

This was her favourite vantage point in the house. She was the most excited to see my dad come home late each evening and would watch here for his car to pull into the driveway. I know how much he will miss her running into his arms.

IMG_6803.JPG

As a racer, she ran 138 races, had 30 puppies, and 6 grand puppies. After all of this, she still came to us at 8 years old brimming with life and energy.

I will miss you, Dory, at the end of every meal when I have a little bit of meat left on the bones I was eating, and I won’t be able to scrape them off and put them in your bowl. In the morning, when I eat a yogurt cup, I’ll remember how you would always take it, the cup fitting right over your skinny nose, and run to your bed to lick it clean. When I get home from school, I’ll expect to see you there waiting for me. When I bring my backpack upstairs and sit down on my desk, I’ll no longer hear your gallop up the stairs, into my room, where you wouldn’t sit down before I gave you a kiss. On thunderstormy days I’ll hope that you don’t have to be scared of it, now that you are above the clouds. Every time I open the back of the van I’ll miss the way you would jump in before it was even open all the way. I’ll miss how you would stay downstairs as I went to sleep, but sometime in the night you would come up into my room, so I would see you sleeping contentedly in the morning at the foot of my bed. I’ll miss your velvety ears, the clack of your toenails, your eyebrows that said, “Walk? Car? Chicken?” with a single twitch. I’ll miss kissing you square between the eyes. In the winter, after a fresh snow, will you find a way to frolick in it again?

On Saturday, when I had to carry her outside and upstairs because she could no longer walk, I asked that if she had to die then, that she would die quickly. God answered my prayers. The day before she was put to sleep she still gobbled down a steak dinner and sat in her spot in the hallway where she could watch both the fridge and the front door. Dory never “had cancer”. She was always Dory, and in the end, she died of cancer. But it didn’t take away her life.

Somewhere a greyhound angel is sleeping....

IMG_6220.JPG

Edited by Trudy

What a beautiful tribute to a well-loved girl! She had a fabulous life with you. I'm so very sorry she couldn't have stayed forever.

Godspeed Dory. :f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest goofydog

What wonderful memories Dory has left you with to help during this most difficult of times. Godspeed Dory and hugs for you and your family. She was truly loved and cherished.

I'm so sorry for your loss; your lovely tribute has me in tears. It sounds like you had a wonderful life together. Rest well, Dory.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

That was a beautiful tribute to your girl. I'm very sorry that Dory had to leave.

Run pain-free Dory. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What a beautiful girl :wub: . I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

That was beautiful, and it's easy to see how much Dory was loved, and what a wonderful time she had with you and your parents. I'm so very sorry that you had to say goodbye to your beautiful girl :grouphug

That is probably one of the most heartfelt and beautiful tributes I have ever read. And seeing the pictures, watching you grow up into a beautiful young woman with Dory says more than any words.

I am SO very sorry she had to leave you. The love you shared with her is like none other.

sending you and your family many, MANY hugs.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest patgam

Your tribute to beautiful Dory was by far the best I have ever read. The love that you show for her is amazing and she for you and your family.

Rest well Dory! The special gift you gave will live on forever in their hearts.

Miss Pat G

That was a beautiful tribute for your beautiful Dory. I am so very sorry. I love your observation - she had cancer but it didn't take her life. Hugs to you and your family.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What beautiful insight you have. I am so sorry you had to say "see you later" to your friend. Someone once told me that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not. I know that Dory will always be close by you, nestled in your heart. :grouphug

Godspeed good girl. No more worries about the thunderstormy days. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The love you shared shines through in every word of your wonderful tribute. It's clear that the two of you were meant to be together, and you expressed that so eloquently. My heart is aching for you---how you will miss your precious girl. I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Dory.

And the pictures are beyond beautiful!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Dory was the single most positive influence in my life. Walking together, twice a day, every day, I enjoyed so many things. People would always stop to talk to us. Kids ran up to us to pet her. Walking around the neighbourhood, we met other greyhound people, we meandered in garage sales, we got lost and got found- a lot. I can’t count the amount of magical encounters that we had with deer, coyotes, and all the other wildlife I didn’t even know thrived here. Just the act of getting outside on a routine, sometimes in ridiculous weather conditions I would never face alone, made me feel free and happy.

This is the ultimate of what we wish for in a life with dogs: to get lost, and get found.

All our sympathy to all of Dory's family and friends.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh no :( I was so saddened to see Dory's name here. I always admired your amazing maturity and sense of responsibility in being a young dog owner. You gave Dory the best 4 years of her life (you can see all of the wonderful adventures she had). Dory was the perfect companion for you, I know how hard it is in the beginning with constant reminders of your pup everywhere. With time you will forget this sad day and remember the happy times.

Hugs!

:f_pink